Date:	Thu, 20 Nov 2014 23:32:34 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>
To:	Spike_White@...l.com
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Translation table available between 'ethtool -k' and 'ethtool
 -K' ? For Linux?

On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 15:10 -0600, Spike_White@...l.com wrote:
> Ethtool developers,
>

> Is there a translation table available between the offload names that
> ethtool –k reports and the offload names that ethool –K accepts?
>

> Our network engineering team has to standard to disable all NIC
> offloads.  I don’t disagree;  several have often bitten us in the
> past.  LRO on vmxnet3 vNICs, TSO on old NICs and (just now) LRO on
> ixgbe/Intel NIC.

So instead of properly validating drivers, you just assume they all have
the same bug as something you saw in the past?

You may think you're being conservative, but by using non-default
settings you're actually taking more of a risk.

> And we have CPU for days, never CPU-limited on our servers.

Lucky you.  It's a shame about the power going to waste.

> If ethtool –K accepted the offload format that –k reports, then
> disabling all offloads would be trivial:
[...]
> Is there a translation table somewhere that translates from the ‘-k’
> output offload names to the ‘-K’ style offload names?
[...]

Yes, it's the off_flag_def array.

For any newly defined features, ethtool will simply use the name
supplied by the kernel for both -k output and -K argument parsing.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. - Lily Tomlin

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (812 bytes)