Date:	Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:58:12 -1000
From:	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...il.com>
To:	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
Cc:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
	Shrijeet Mukherjee <shrijeet@...il.com>,
	Andy Gospodarek <gospo@...ulusnetworks.com>,
	Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@...ck.org>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v3 04/17] net: introduce generic switch devices support

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com> wrote:
> On 11/25/14 23:18, Scott Feldman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
>> wrote:
>

>> You have a pointer to the kernel driver for that HW?
>

> I wasnt sure if that was a passive aggressive move there to
> question what i am claiming?(Only Canadians are allowed to be
> passive aggressive Scott). To answer your question, no
> code currently littered with vendor SDK unfortunately (as you
> would know!).

Drats, I was hoping there might be Open Source here.  I'm actually not
familiar with Netronome offerings.  I went to their web page and all
their Docs downloads require registration, so I should have guessed
same-old-same-old.  But you teased us with it, so I thought I would
ask.  Sorry for the trouble XOXOXOXO.  I'm not Canadian, as far as I
know.

> But hopefully if we get these changes in correctly it would
> not be hard to show the driver working fully in the kernel.
> There are definetely a few other pieces of hardware that are
> making me come back here and invest time and effort in these
> long discussions.

You have access to the inside scope.  We don't.  Ok, I don't.  We
(think we) know what the traditional L2/L3 and OVS-style flow stuff
looks like, but you know more, but you can't show us in code so it's
frustrating.  Not your fault.  Just continue to guide us and give some
disclaimer when we're your close to some proprietary knowledge, but it
is relevant to the discussion.