Date:	Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:01:29 +0000
From:	Erik Grinaker <erik@...gler.no>
To:	Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: TCP connection issues against Amazon S3

> On 06 Jan 2015, at 18:33, Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Erik Grinaker <erik@...gler.no> wrote:

> TCP does not retransmit ACK ... do you mean DUPACKs sent by the receiver?

Ah, sorry, they are indeed DUPACKs; I thought they were the same thing.

> I am trying to understand the problem. Could you confirm that it's the
> HTTP responses sent from Amazon S3 got stalled, or HTTP requests sent
> from the receiver (your host)?

Yes. We run HTTP GET requests against S3 for images (typically a few megs in size). Once in a while, the response transfer stalls about halfway through, until the client (Curl) times out. The packet dump shows loads of DUPACKs early on, then TCP retransmissions until the connection is closed.

> btw I suspect some middleboxes are stripping SACKOK options from your
> SYNs (or Amazon SYN-ACKs) assuming Amazon supports SACK.

That may be. I just tested this on a server in the Netherlands, and I can not reproduce the problem there, while I can reproduce it from multiple locations and ISPs in Norway. Would it be helpful to have a packet dump from the functioning Netherlands server as well?