Date:	Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:32:20 -0800
From:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:	Amir Vadai <amirv@...lanox.com>
Cc:	Hadar Hen Zion <hadarh@...lanox.com>,
	Yevgeny Petrilin <yevgenyp@...lanox.com>,
	Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>,
	"shannon.nelson@...el.com" <shannon.nelson@...el.com>,
	Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
	"greearb@...delatech.com" <greearb@...delatech.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 0/3] devconf: New infrastructure for setting
 pre-load parameters for a module

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 12:28:21AM +0200, Amir Vadai wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:

> [...]
>

> > But you are talking about loading config info before the driver is
> > loaded, which goes backwards for how we automatically load modules when
> > the hardware is found.
>
> I guess you're a busy man and getting tired of my nudges. And it is ok
> with us to make it a non-generic solution - so I won't bother you much
> more...
> I would like to understand the arguments here: Maybe there is a
> history that I missed - What are the arguments against having a config
> info before the driver is loaded? Assuming, that it will make the
> driver loading process simpler and faster.

How can you load any configuration before the module is loaded if your
module is loaded automatically during the initrd?

drivers are loaded on demand, when the hardware is found, don't force
people to configure things manually by running a tool before your module
is loaded, as that is not how the module load process works at all.

greg k-h