Date:	Fri, 27 Feb 2015 06:52:58 +0900
From:	Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>
To:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
Cc:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, andy@...yhouse.net,
	dborkman@...hat.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com, jesse@...ira.com,
	jpettit@...ira.com, joestringer@...ira.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
	sfeldma@...il.com, f.fainelli@...il.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com,
	linville@...driver.com, shrijeet@...il.com,
	gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, bcrl@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Flows! Offload them.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 03:16:35PM -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:23:36AM -0800, John Fastabend wrote:
> > >
> > > Agreed. This should not prevent the policy being driven from user
> > > space though.

> > > Offloading of TC definitely makes a lot of sense. I think that even in
> > > that case you will already encounter independent configuration of
> > > hardware and kernel. Example: The hardware provides a fixed, generic
> > > function to push up to n bytes onto a packet. This hardware function
> > > could be used to implement TC actions "push_vlan", "push_vxlan",
> > > "push_mpls". You would you would likely agree that TC should make use
> > > of such a function even if the hardware version is different from the
> > > software version. So I don't think we'll have a 1:1 mapping for all
> > > configurations, regardless of whether the how is decided in kernel or
> > > user space.
> >
> > Just to expand slightly on this. I don't think you can get to a 1:1
> > mapping here. One reason is hardware typically has a TCAM and limited
> > size. So you need a _policy_ to determine when to push rules into the
> > hardware. The kernel doesn't know when to do this and I don't believe
> > its the kernel's place to start enforcing policy like this. One thing I likely
> > need to do is get some more "worlds" in rocker so we aren't stuck only
> > thinking about the infinite size OF_DPA world. The OF_DPA world is only
> > one world and not a terribly flexible one at that when compared with the
> > NPU folk. So minimally you need a flag to indicate rules go into hardware
> > vs software.
> >
> > That said I think the bigger mismatch between software and hardware is
> > you program it differently because the data structures are different. Maybe
> > a u32 example would help. For parsing with u32 you might build a parse
> > graph with a root and some leaf nodes. In hardware you want to collapse
> > this down onto the hardware. I argue this is not a kernel task because
> > there are lots of ways to do this and there are trade-offs made with
> > respect to space and performance and which table to use when it could be
> > handled by a set of tables. Another example is a virtual switch possibly
> > OVS but we have others. The software does some "unmasking" (there term)
> > before sending the rules into the software dataplane cache. Basically this
> > means we can ignore priority in the hash lookup. However this is not how you
> > would optimally use hardware. Maybe I should do another write up with
> > some more concrete examples.
> >
> > There are also lots of use cases to _not_ have hardware and software in
> > sync. A flag allows this.
> >
> > My only point is I think we need to allow users to optimally use there
> > hardware either via 'tc' or my previous 'flow' tool. Actually in my
> > opinion I still think its best to have both interfaces.
> >
> > I'll go get some coffee now and hopefully that is somewhat clear.
>

> I've been thinking about the policy apect of this, and the more I think
> [...]

In general I agree that it makes sense to have have sane offload policy
in the kernel and provide a mechanism to override that. Things that already
work should continue to work: just faster or with fewer CPU cycles consumed.

I am, however, not entirely convinced that it is always possible to
implement such a sane default policy that is worth the code complexity -
I'm thinking in particular of Open vSwitch where management of flows is
already in user-space.