Date:	Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:58:01 -0500
From:	Bruce James Fields <bfields@...ldses.org>
To:	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@...marydata.com>
Subject: Re: Weird TCP hang when doing loopback NFS (wireshark traces
 attached)

On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 11:31:31PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Trond Myklebust
> <trond.myklebust@...marydata.com> wrote:

> >> This is the stable-pages problem that we've had forever, isn't it?  Or
> >> is this a different problem?
> >
> > It is causing the TCP socket to hang, so it goes beyond the usual
> > stable pages issue.
> >

> Confirming that clearing RQ_SPLICE_OK fixes the issue on all kernel
> that I've tested so far.

Well, if the problem is a race with truncate then I guess it may have
something to do with sending pages that are no longer part of the page
cache?

I'd think that the get_page() in nfsd_splice_actor would prevent the
page being put to any other use until the network layer was done with
it, so that at worst the client would see garbage.  But I don't begin to
understand how truncation actually works....

The zero-copy v3 code has been there since 2002, if I'm reading the
history right, so if it's really a fundamental problem with the approach
then I wonder how it's survived so long.

I haven't tried to reproduce yet.

--b.