Date:	Wed, 04 Mar 2015 07:39:30 -0800
From:	"Nikita N." <nikitan@...ramail.com>
To:	Arend van Spriel <arend@...adcom.com>
Cc:	hauke@...ke-m.de, brcm80211-dev-list@...adcom.com,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
	Pat Erley <pat-lkml@...ey.org>, brudley@...adcom.com,
	Franky Lin <frankyl@...adcom.com>, meuleman@...adcom.com,
	linville@...driver.com, pieterpg@...adcom.com, hdegoede@...hat.com,
	wens@...e.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: brcmsmac not compliant to 802.11 for BCM4313

Dear Arend,
as followup to my last inquiry, since it's passed more than 2 weeks, I'm
afraid I didn't receive any answer.
As from subject, I finally discovered that brcmsmac is not compliant to
802.11 regulations for BCM4313.
So, as purchasing customer, and member of Linux users community, I try
to propose my questions to you again now, 3 in total:

1) Regulatory domain - you wrote "brcmsmac does assure tx power is
within regulatory limits by enforcing a world regulatory domain"
That affirmation is *FALSE*.
I spent the whole weekend putting brcmsmac under heavy trace, all
functions, above all the phy ones.
Some code "supposes" to enforce a regulatory domain, but the effect is
total null.
I tried recompile the regulatory domain database, those functions did
not retrieve the new values.
Whatever values I set for domain 00, the effect was null - BCM4313 kept
functioning independently.
The functions, phy and not, which are "supposed" to set the eeprom
registries for regdomain enforce, have effect null - the BCM4313 kept
functioning independently.
I tried setting random numbers in those functions and registries, the
effect was null - the BCM4313 kept functioning independently.
At the edge of my frustration, I started commenting away from the code
those whole phy functions, the effect was null again - the BCM4313 kept
functioning independently.
I don't know for what Broadcom hw device were written and *tested* those
functions - but sure is, they do *NOT* work for BCM4313.
Could you please explain how/where the BCM4313 is supposed to "enforcing
a world regulatory domain" ?

2) MCS - 11n modulated frames are not detected in BCM4313 monitor mode -
I informed you about this issue more than 1 year ago, and again 2 weeks
ago.
The issue still reproduces, and no sign of any fix.
When/in what backports version, this issue is supposed to be fixed
finally?

3) I explicitly purchased this BCM4313 already 1 year ago, with the
following specs: 0x4313 rev 0x01 package 0x08, 3 cores ChipCommon,
IEEE802.11 and PCIe.
I have been searching for any technical datasheet specification document
about BCM4313 on Broadcom website and others.
Did not find any.
Could you please send me a detailed technical datasheet specification
document about BCM4313, for programming/dev purposes?

Thank you & Greetings

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again