Date:	Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:40:41 -0400
From:	jacob jacob <opstkusr@...il.com>
To:	Bandan Das <bsd@...hat.com>
Cc:	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
	QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@...gnu.org>,
	kvm-devel <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Stefan Assmann <sassmann@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI passthrough of 40G ethernet interface (Openstack/KVM)

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Bandan Das <bsd@...hat.com> wrote:
> [Ccing netdev and Stefan]
> Bandan Das <bsd@...hat.com> writes:
>
>> jacob jacob <opstkusr@...il.com> writes:

>>> Do not see anything useful in the output..
>>
>> Ok, Thanks. Can you please post the output as well ?

>>> Currently am using 3.18.7-200.fc21.x86_64 which is pretty recent.
>>> Are you suggesting trying the newer kernel just on the host? (or VM too?)
>> Both preferably to 3.19. But it's just a wild guess. I saw i40e related fixes,
>> particularly "i40e: fix un-necessary Tx hangs" in 3.19-rc5. This is not exactly
>> what you are seeing but I was still wondering if it could help.
>
> Actually, Stefan suggests that support for this card is still sketchy
> and your best bet is to try out net-next
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git
>
> Also, could you please post more information about your hardware setup
> (chipset/processor/firmware version on the card etc) ?

Host CPU : Model name:            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v2 @ 2.60GHz

Manufacturer Part Number:  XL710QDA1BLK
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710 for
40GbE QSFP+ (rev 01)
 #ethtool -i enp9s0
driver: i40e
version: 1.2.6-k
firmware-version: f4.22 a1.1 n04.24 e800013fd
bus-info: 0000:09:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes