Date:	Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:17:12 +0100
From:	Nieścierowicz Adam <adam.niescierowicz@...tnet.pl>
To:	Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com>
Cc:	Robert LeBlanc <robert@...lanc.us>, lartc@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux the best hardware for routing with 10 and 40G network
 adapter

Hi Dave,

attached information look very interesting. if you are looking for
testers I have the opportunity to test in an environment:
- linux router for customers
- 2K active users
- 1xGbE for uplink
- 3xGbE for customer link
- customer use static routing and pppoe

---
Thanks
Adam Nieścierowicz

W dniu 19.03.2015 18:53, Dave Taht napisał(a):

> [...]
> your use cases.
>
> And I do generally hope that these algorithms will start appearing the
> basic ethernet and switch hardware at some point soon. I am backing a
> kickstarter project to get it out there in an FPGA at least... (see:
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onetswitch/onetswitch-open-source-hardware-for-networking
> [5]
> )
>
>> It seems that fq_codel really helps with latency and
>> bufferbloat (which would also be good for us) and it is possible that
>> it would be adequate since we are DSCP marking packets and the
>> switches are applying L2 COS. I'll have to look over it. If you have
>> some information that would be helpful, I'd be happy to have it.
>
> Oy. More talks and documentation than you can shake a stick at.
>
> we have put a collection of the best up here:
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos [6]
>
> I enjoy Stephen Hemminger's presos a lot, although my modena talks go
> into more detail. Van Jacobson's talk is essential, and the shortest
> talk I have ever given on these subjects was the uknof talk.
>
> Most of my work has been focused on fixing the edge of the internet,
> rather than stuff in the data center, but I am increasingly interested
> in what good all this stuff does in these environments, as I do hope
> to see these algorithms start showing up soon in Load Balancers,
> BRAS's and CMTSes and ISP gear like that.
>
> Certainly sch_fq is rather widely deployed at at least one large web
> service provider, in particular. :) I don't have any data as to where
> else it is deployed...
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Robert LeBlanc <robert@...lanc.us>
> wrote:
> I can't speak for the specific configuration, but we are having
> challenges using the mqprio qdisc on the Intel XL710 adapters. We have
> engaged Intel, but we are still having trouble. If you want priority
> queuing and using the hardware TX queues, you may have problems with
> this family of cards.
>
> I am very curious about benchmarks of fq_codel (vs mqprio or
> pfifo_fast) at these speeds on adaptors like this, preferably driven
> by repeatable tests like the rrul test in netperf-wrapper.
>
> In particular, what happens if only one tx queue is enabled with
> fq_codel?
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Nieścierowicz Adam
> <adam.niescierowicz@...tnet.pl> wrote: Hi,
>
> in the near future we are planning to purchase new equipment for the
> router.
>
> Our requirements are:
>
> - four or more 1GbE interfaces
>
> - two-four 10GbE interfaces
>
> - two 40GbE interfaces
>
> - multicast routing with throughput input 1-2 Gb/s output 4x1-2Gb/s
>
> Can someone share your experience what equipment you choose to such a

  Dave Täht
  Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb [8]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.bufferbloat.net/issues/441