Date:	Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:25:28 -0700
From:	Cong Wang <cwang@...pensource.com>
To:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>
Cc:	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...hat.com>,
	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Patch net-next] fib: move fib_rules_cleanup_ops() under rtnl lock

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 5:01 AM, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch> wrote:
> On 03/26/15 at 04:47pm, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>> >I even doubt we really need rules_mod_lock, it is per netns,
>> >which is newly allocated when registering pernet and upper
>> >layer should guarantee no concurrent unregistering, so we
>> >probably only need to take rtnl lock.
>>
>> I'm adding Thomas as he was the original author for the code and might have
>> a better idea of what needs to be rtnl locked and what doesn't.  You should
>> probably CC him as well on the v2 patch.
>>
>> As far as why I am so focused on moving fib4_rules_exit it is because we
>> don't want to call that delete function until after the table has been
>> cleared.  Otherwise you end up triggering the external_flush and unmerge
>> code on a full table instead of an empty one.  The result is you end up
>> allocating a bunch of memory before you then turn around and free it.  So
>> even if you retain the rtnl_lock changes it would still be best to move
>> fib4_rules_exit call to the region after you have freed the FIB tables, but
>> before you free fib_table_hash.
>
> I agree with Alex. Reordering fib4_rules_exit() makes sense. Not only
> to fix this issue but also for the purpose of correct ordering of
> allocation and releasing.

I am surprised you guys only care this one issue, there are more
for me.

$subject already says this is net-next, nothing needs to worry
about backport.

> It is definitely also safe to move fib_rules_cleanup_ops() out of
> rules_mod_lock. It is the responsibility of whoever registers the
> rules that no rule is in use he calls fib_rules_unregister().
>
> I don't see why fib_rules should hold rtnl_lock upon delete for the
> caller. If the caller requires this protection it's up to him to
> provide it.

If not rtnl lock, then what prevents the race between netns unregistering
with rule add/del via netlink?

I know ops is removed from the list at that point, but ops->rules might be
still being traversed under rtnl lock:

                                         ops = lookup_rules_ops();
list_del_rcu(&ops->list);
                                         list_for_each_entry(ops->rules) {