Date:	Thu, 16 Apr 2015 05:16:02 -0700
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	George Dunlap <george.dunlap@...citrix.com>
Cc:	Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@...citrix.com>,
	Jonathan Davies <Jonathan.Davies@...rix.com>,
	"xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com" <xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com>,
	Wei Liu <wei.liu2@...rix.com>,
	Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@...rix.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Paul Durrant <paul.durrant@...rix.com>,
	Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall@...aro.org>,
	Felipe Franciosi <felipe.franciosi@...rix.com>,
	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
	David Vrabel <david.vrabel@...rix.com>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] "tcp: refine TSO autosizing" causes performance
 regression on Xen

#2 means that :

If you have an outstanding queue of 500 packets for a flow in qdisc.

A rtx has to be done, because we receive a SACK.

The rtx is queued _after_ the previous 500 packets.

500 packets have to be drained before rtx can be sent and eventually
reach destination.

These 500 packets will likely be dropped because the destination cannot
process them before the rtx.

2 TSO packets are already 90 packets (MSS=1448). It is not small, but a
good compromise allowing line rate even on 40Gbit NIC.

#1 is not marketing. It is hugely relevant.

You might use cubic as the default congestion control, you have to
understand we work hard on delay based cc, as losses are no longer a way
to measure congestion in modern networks.

Vegas and delay gradient congestion depends on precise RTT measures.

I added usec RTT estimations (instead of jiffies based rtt samples) to
increase resolution by 3 order of magnitude, not for marketing, but
because it had to be done when DC communications have typical rtt of 25
usec these days.

And jitter in host queues is not nice and must be kept at the minimum.

You do not have the whole picture, but this tight bufferbloat control is
one step before we can replace cubic by new upcoming cc, that many
companies are actively developing and testing.

The steps are the following :

1) TCP Small queues
2) FQ/pacing
3) TSO auto sizing
3) usec rtt estimations
4) New revolutionary cc module currently under test at Google,
   but others have alternatives.

The fact that few drivers have bugs should not stop this effort.

If you guys are in the Bay area, we would be happy to host a meeting
where we can present you how our work reduced packet drops in our
networks by 2 order of magnitude, and increased capacity by 40 or 50%.