Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:40:52 -0700
From:	Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:	Cong Wang <cwang@...pensource.com>
CC:	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org,
	Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch net] igb: pass the correct maxlen for eth_get_headlen()

On 04/22/2015 04:23 PM, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Alexander Duyck
> <alexander.duyck@...il.com> wrote:
>> On 04/22/2015 02:56 PM, Cong Wang wrote:

>>> Huh? Doesn't my patch already fix this? skb_frag_size() is always
>>> up to date. Or you mean another different problem?
>> Your patch has other issues.  I am still NAKing your patch, but there is
>> an issue with igb that you have pointed out.  The proper fix would be to
>> deal with the timestamp before we add the page fragment to the skb.
>>
> If the first frag is always 2K, then this is not a problem either.
> IGB_TS_HDR_LEN + IGB_RX_HDR_LEN < 2K.

The problem is skb->tail will get screwed up.

>>> Apparently my igb knowledge isn't enough to verify this, I just did
>>> logical analysis.
>> The logic with igb is that if skb_is_nonlinear it means that a page has
>> already been added.  The way the hardware works is that it will break a
>> frame up into 2K segments until the entire frame is written.  So the
>> only way to get a second page fragment is if the first has used the
>> entire 2K buffer it was given.
> So the first frag is always 2K, at least more than IGB_RX_HDR_LEN
> then we are fine even for TSIP case.
>
> The code looks correct to me now, except it is suspicious skb->len
> is not updated after skb_copy_to_linear_data() while skb->tail is
> advanced already. I need to think more before submitting a patch.

The first frag will be 2K in size only if there are multiple frags.  The
problem in the TSIP case is that we will put the size reported by the
descriptor into the fragment, and then try to pull the size we
determined via eth_get_headlen.  So there is a window where that value
can be wrong and result in data_len going negative and tail being moved
beyond the end of the actual data.

- Alex