Date:	Mon, 25 May 2015 16:19:55 -0700
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	"John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@...nsourcedevel.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TCP window auto-tuning sub-optimal in GRE tunnel

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 18:44 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 15:38 -0700, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 18:22 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >
> > > 2) Why do we still not negotiate the 16MB buffer that we get when we are
> > > not using GRE?
> >
> > What exact NIC handles receive side ?
> >
> > If drivers allocate a full 4KB page to hold each frame,
> > plus sk_buff overhead,
> > then 32MB of kernel memory translates to 8MB of TCP window space.
> >

> Hi, Eric.  I'm not sure I understand the question or how to obtain the
> information you've requested.  The receive side system has 48GB of RAM
> but that does not sound like what you are requesting.
>
> I suspect the behavior is a "protection mechanism", i.e., it is being
> calculated for good reason.  When I set the buffer to 16MB manually in
> nuttcp, performance degraded so I assume I was overrunning something.  I
> am still downloading the traces.
>
> But I'm still mystified by why this only affects GRE traffic.  Thanks -

GRE is quite expensive, some extra cpu load is needed.

On receiver, can you please check what exact driver is loaded ?

Is it igb, ixgbe, e1000e, i40e ?

ethtool -i eth0

GRE has extra 28 bytes of encapsulation, this definitely can make skb a
little bit fat. TCP has very simple heuristics (using power of two
steps) and a 50% factor can be explained by this extra 28 bytes for some
particular driver.

You could emulate this at the sender (without GRE) by reducing the mtu
for the route to your target.

ip route add 192.x.y.z via <gateway> mtu 1450