Date:	Tue, 26 May 2015 14:56:41 -0400
From:	Zack Weinberg <zackw@...ix.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: "ip netns create" hangs forever, spamming console with
 "unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free"

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@...ix.com> wrote:
> I have an application that makes heavy use of network namespaces,
> creating and destroying them on the fly during operation.  With 100%
> reproducibility, the first invocation of "ip netns create" after any
> "ip netns del" hangs forever in D-state; only rebooting the machine
> clears the condition.

Following up to myself to say that reproduction is not as simple as
'ip netns add test; ip netns del test; ip netns add test2'.  In fact,
not even bringing the namespace (and all associated interfaces) up and
then  down again _exactly_ as my production code does it will trigger
the bug.  It appears to be necessary to push a significant amount of
data through interfaces attached to the namespace.

Since I had to reset the machine to attempt to create a repro recipe,
I can no longer perform diagnostics on the hung processes, but I've
restarted the application and it should reach the problem state again
in a day or two.

zw