Date:	Wed, 27 May 2015 11:15:37 -0700
From:	Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni <gopakumar.c.e@...il.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com>,
	Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>,
	Van Jacobson <vanj@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Bug in tcp timestamp option ? TSecr in SYN-ACK != TSval in SYN

Doesnt seem so. This is the output from one of the servers I have
where I periodically hit this TSval != TSecr condition.

ubuntu@...ver:~$ sudo su
root@...ver:/home/ubuntu# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 0
root@...ver:/home/ubuntu#  sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 0

Also I dont think your theory about port-reuse is what is happening
either - because as I mentioned, its a very very lightly loaded
server, and the client is also very very light weight in terms of tcp
connections (makes one connection every 30 seconds to this one server
and no one else). But the reason I mentioned the SYN-ACK-lost +
SYN-retry theory is because the client<-->server is over internet via
standard broadband links shared across multiple people and hence can
be quite lossy.

At any rate, whatever is the cause behind this, I guess what you
mentioned still holds good - that the tcp stack needs to update the
saved TSval to that of the latest SYN, right ?

Rgds,
Gopa.