Date:	Tue, 2 Jun 2015 14:49:42 -0700
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
Cc:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: How do I avoid recvmsg races with IP_RECVERR?

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Hannes Frederic Sowa
<hannes@...essinduktion.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 23:33, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Hannes Frederic Sowa
>> <hannes@...essinduktion.org> wrote:

>> > I see either two possibilities:
>> >
>> > We export the icmp_err_convert tables along with the udp_lib_err error
>> > conversions to user space and spice them up with flags to mark if they
>> > are transient (icmp_err_convert already has a fatal flag).
>>
>> This seems overcomplicated.  I'd rather have a flag I pass to tell the
>> kernel that I don't want to see transient errors (nd that I'll clear
>> them myself using POLLERR and either MSG_ERRQUEUE or SO_ERROR.
>>

>> > Otherwise you should be able to call recvmsg with MSG_ERRQUEUE set after
>> > you got a ret < 0 when calling without MSG_ERRQUEUE and inspect the
>> > sock_extended_err, no?
>>
>> I do this already, which makes me think that there's a bug or another
>> race somewhere.  I've only seen a failure once in several years of
>> operation.
>>
>> The failure happened on a ping socket.  I suspect that the race is:
>>
>> ping_err: ip_icmp_error(...);
>>
>> user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE) and dequeues the error.
>>
>> ping_err: sk_err = err;
>>
>> user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE not set), and recvmsg sees and clears the
>> error via sock_error.
>>
>> user: recvmsg(MSG_ERRQUEUE), and recvmsg returns -EAGAIN.
>>
>> Now the user code thinks that it was a real (non-transient) error and
>> aborts.
>>
>> Shouldn't that sk->sk_err = err assignment at least use WRITE_ONCE?
>
> Hmm, I don't think this will help.

It won't help this race, but it'll at least make it clearer that the
code has some kind of reasonably well-defined semantics.

>> Even if this race were fixed, this interface still sucks IMO.
>
> Yes. :/
>
> My proposal would be to make the error conversion lazy:
>
> Keeping duplicate data is not a good idea in general: So we shouldn't
> use sk->sk_err if IP_RECVERR is set at all but let sock_error just use
> the sk_error_queue and extract the error code from there.
>
> Only if IP_RECVERR was not set, we use sk->sk_err logic.
>
> What do you think?

That seems entirely sensible to me, except that it might break some
existing application.  There's also this code:

    if ((family == AF_INET && !inet_sock->recverr) ||
        (family == AF_INET6 && !inet6_sk(sk)->recverr)) {
        if (!harderr || sk->sk_state != TCP_ESTABLISHED)
            goto out;  <-- skips the assignment to sk_err

which means that recverr kind of has the opposite semantics right now.

In fact, the man page agrees with the current behavior (minus the race):

       IP_RECVERR (since Linux 2.2)
              Enable extended reliable error message passing.  When enabled on
              a datagram socket, all generated errors will be queued in a per-
              socket error queue.  When the user  receives  an  error  from  a
              socket   operation,  the  errors  can  be  received  by  calling
              recvmsg(2)   with    the    MSG_ERRQUEUE    flag    set.     The
              sock_extended_err  structure describing the error will be passed
              in an ancillary message with the type IP_RECVERR and  the  level
              IPPROTO_IP.   This  is  useful  for  reliable  error handling on
              unconnected sockets.  The received data  portion  of  the  error
              queue contains the error packet.

The sensible semantics would be to change this to "When the user
receives POLLERR, the errors can be received...".  So maybe there
should be another value for IP_RECVERR to opt in to the alternate
semantics.

--Andy