Date:	Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:25:30 +0200
From:	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>
To:	Debabrata Banerjee <dbavatar@...il.com>, Chris Mason <clm@...com>
CC:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>, Shaohua Li <shli@...com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>, Kernel-team@...com,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	Joshua Hunt <johunt@...mai.com>,
	"Banerjee, Debabrata" <dbanerje@...mai.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] net: use atomic allocation for order-3 page allocation

On 06/11/2015 11:35 PM, Debabrata Banerjee wrote:
> There is no "background" it doesn't matter if this activity happens
> synchronously or asynchronously, unless you're sensitive to the
> latency on that single operation. If you're driving all your cpu's and
> memory hard then this is work that still takes resources. If there's a
> kernel thread with compaction running, then obviously your process is
> not.

Well that of course depends on the CPU utilization of "your process".

> Your patch should help in that not every atomic allocation failure
> should mean yet another run at compaction/reclaim.

If you don't want to wake up kswapd, add also __GFP_NO_KSWAPD flag.
Additionally, gfp_to_alloc_flags() will stop treating such allocation as
atomic - it allows atomic allocations to bypass cpusets and lowers the
watermark by 1/4 (unless there's also __GFP_NOMEMALLOC). It might
actually make sense to add __GFP_NO_KSWAPD for an allocation like this
one that has a simple order-0 fallback.

Vlastimil