Date:	Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:47:16 +0200
From:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>
To:	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>, Shaohua Li <shli@...com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	kernel-team <Kernel-team@...com>, clm@...com, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	dbavatar@...il.com
Subject: Re: [RFC V3] net: don't wait for order-3 page allocation

On Thu 18-06-15 17:22:40, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 06/18/2015 04:43 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:

> >>I kind of agree.
> >>
> >>If kswapd is a problem (is it ???) we should fix it, instead of adding
> >>yet another flag to some random locations attempting
> >>memory allocations.
> >
> >No, kswapd is not a problem. The problem is ~__GFP_WAIT allocation can
> >access some portion of the memory reserves (see gfp_to_alloc_flags resp.
> >__zone_watermark_ok and ALLOC_HARDER). __GFP_NO_KSWAPD is just a dirty
> >hack to not give that access which was introduced for THP AFAIR.
> >
> >The implicit access to memory reserves for non sleeping allocation has
> >been there for ages and it might be not suitable for this particular
> >path but that doesn't mean another gfp flag with a different side effect
> >should be hijacked. We should either stop doing that implicit access to
> >memory reserves and give __GFP_RESERVE or add the __GFP_NORESERVE. But
> >that is a problem to be solved in the mm proper. Spreading subtle
> >dependencies outside of mm will just make situation worse.
>
> So you are not proposing to use these __GFP_RESERVE/NORESERVE flag outside
> of mm, right? (besides, we distinguish several kinds of reserves, so what
> exactly would the flag do?)

That is to be discussed. Most allocations already express their interest
in memory reserves by __GFP_HIGH directly or by GFP_ATOMIC indirectly.
So maybe we do not need any additional flag here. There are not that
many ~__GFP_WAIT and most of them seem to require it _only_ because the
context doesn't allow for sleeping (e.g. to prevent from deadlocks).

> As that would be also subtle dependency. The
> general problem I think is that we should want the mm users to specify
> higher-level intentions (such as GFP_KERNEL) which would map to specific
> directions (__GFP_*) for the allocator, and currently it's rather a mess of
> both kinds of flags.

I agree. So I think that maybe we should drop that implicit access to
memory reserves for ~__GFP_WAIT allocations and let it do what it is
documented to do.

> Clearly the intention here is "opportunistic allocation that should
> not reclaim/compact, use reserves, wake up kswapd (?) because it's
> better to fall back to smaller pages than wait") and we don't seem to
> have a GFP_OPPORTUNISTIC flag for that. The allocation has to then
> mask out __GFP_WAIT which however looks like an atomic allocation to
> the allocator and give access to reserves, etc...

I think simply dropping GFP_WAIT is a good way to express that. The
fact that the current implementation gives access to memory reserves
implicitly is just a detail and the user of the allocator shouldn't care
about that.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs