Date:	Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:24:17 -0500
From:	Douglas Miller <dougmill@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Michael Chan <mchan@...adcom.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	Prashant Sreedharan <prashant@...adcom.com>,
	siva.kallam@...adcom.com
Subject: Re: Question on behavior of tg3_self_test() (ethtool -t on tg3 driver)

Thanks Michael for getting back to me.

Yes, the "wrap plugs" are the loopback cables/plugs. It is my
understanding that the "offline" tests do not require anything to be
plugged into the ports, as they do not in any way touch the "external"
port. They perform an "internal loopback" test which does not depend on
any external connection.

 From what I can tell, the only difference between "offline" and
"external_lb" is that "external_lb" performs the external loopback
tests, *in addition to* all the tests done for "offline". This would
imply that the only tests that depend on anything connected to the
physical port is "external_lb", and there is no requirement that the
wrap plugs be removed/replaced in order to run "offline" tests.

In the case I was debugging, wrap plugs were installed because the ports
were, later, being tested in an "external loopback" way.

What I am observing is that it takes about 20 seconds for the kernel to
declare that the link is up, after running the "offline" or
"external_lb" test. In the case of "offline" I cannot run the test again
until the kernel declares the link up. In the case of "external_lb" I
can run the test again immediately and it passes. This suggests to me
that the "external_lb" case (again, it is a superset of "offline") is
performing some configuration on the port that allows the subsequent
test to work. The one significant difference between "offline" and
"external_lb" is that "external_lb" performs the
"tg3_phy_lpbk_set(tp, 0, true);" changes to configuration (immediately
prior to running the loopback tests again). I believe this call is to
switch from "internal loopback" to "normal", in order to leverage the
wrap plugs and perform the external loopback tests. But this call is not
made for "offline" and I am wondering if that leaves the port in a state
where it cannot be used until the kernel completes the "link up".

Thanks,
Doug