Date:	Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:38:03 -0300
From:	Hugo Vasconcelos Saldanha <hugovs@...il.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Problem with ICMP rate limiting and redirects

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 15:13 -0300, Hugo Vasconcelos Saldanha wrote:
>> Hi Eric,

>> > Hmm... Do you have commit
>> >
>> > 4cdf507d54525842dfd9f6313fdafba039084046
>> > ("icmp: add a global rate limitation")
>> > in your kernel ?
>> >

>> No, but i just tested it and problem continues. AFAICT, ICMP redirects
>> shouldn't be limited by the logic implemented by that patch, at least
>> with default icmp_ratemask. And the algorithm in ip_rt_send_redirect()
>> has a different purpose, too.
>
> OK thanks.
>
> I guess I also gave the commit to give a hint why relying on inetpeer
> might open doors for DDOS.
>
> <quote of the changelog>
>     Note that if we really want to send millions of ICMP messages per
>     second, we might extend idea and infra added in commit 04ca6973f7c1a
>     ("ip: make IP identifiers less predictable") :
>     add a token bucket in the ip_idents hash and no longer rely on
>     inetpeer.
>
> </quote>

Thanks for pointing that out.

But how should all the sysctl's that control ICMP messages sent to
specific targets (icmp_ratelimit, redirect_load, redirect_number,
redirect_silence, error_cost and error_burst) be treated without
relying on inetpeer? Entries in ip_idents hash don't represent
specific targets. Am I missing something?