Date:	Mon, 5 Oct 2015 19:39:51 +0200
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, sfeldma@...il.com,
	idosch@...lanox.com, eladr@...lanox.com, tgraf@...g.ch,
	ast@...mgrid.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next 00/14] rocker: add support for multiple worlds

Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 06:58:06PM CEST, john.fastabend@...il.com wrote:
>On 15-10-05 09:30 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>>> Hi Jiri,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand the motivation here. Are you thinking the
>>> "real" drivers will start to load worlds or what I've been calling
>>> profiles on the devices I have here. If this is the case using
>>> opaque strings without any other infrastructure around it to expose
>>> what the profile is doing is not sufficient in my opinion. What I
>>> would rather have is for drivers to expose the actual configuration
>>> parameters they are using, preferable these would be both readable
>>> and writable so we don't end up with what the firmware/device driver
>>> writers think is best. I think we can get there by exposing a model
>>> of the device and configuring "tables". I'll post my latest patch
>>> set today to give you a better idea what I'm thinking here. Without
>>> this I guess you will end up with drivers creating many profiles and
>>> in no consistent way so you end up with here is my "vxlan" profile,
>>> here is my "geneve" profile, here is my "magic-foo" profile, etc. I
>>> wanted to avoid this.
>>
>> This is just for rocker purposes. I do not want to do something similar
>> for real devices. It does not make sense as real hw always have some
>> hard-wired topology. Rocker HW does not. I think that this is the main
>> part that may cause some misunderstandings.
>
>I think your underestimating the flexibility of hardware. And
>completely missing the hardware that is based on FPGAs and/or cell
>architectures. This hardware is available today and could support
>topology changes like this. But even less exotic hardware can/will
>support parser updates which makes the device behave differently.

Sure, I'm just trying to explain that woulds and your "profiles" are
something completely different. I feel like we are running in circles.

>Other hardware can reconfigure the topology within some constraints,
>the fm10k device supports this model. An extreme example would put
>an ebpf interpreter in a fpga on the nic and expose it via a driver.
>
>If its just for rocker purposes I'm not really excited about adding
>it to the kernel to support a qemu device. If we allow it for one

What exactly are you against? Multi-world support as it is of the
userspace iface to change worlds? If the second, I understand, kind of.

>driver I don't see how/why we should block it for "real" devices.
>>From the kernels point of view these are all real drivers. I could
>build a qemu model that maps 1:1 with real hardware and do a drop
>in replacement.
>

>> Rocker has a notion of "worlds". When a port is set to be in a certain
>> world, it behaves in completely different way. Now we have just OF-DPA
>> world. I will be adding BPF world shortly.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with profiles as you describe it, this is
>> something completely different!
>>

>I'm missing why its different.
>
>Would you object to me adding multiple worlds to fm10k
>using opaque strings? I'll create a world with a topology that maps
>well to ipv4 networks, a world for ipv6 networks, a world for l2 flat
>networks, etc. Each world in this example will have a specific table

Not worlds in rocker terminology. This is what you call profiles.

>topology and parser to support it. In this sense the ports will behave
>in completely different ways i.e. packets will be processed by
>different pipelines. Are you suggesting we do this?

No, I definitelly do not suggest this. Again, this is what you call "profile".
I don't care about those, not in the scope of this patchset.

>I'm not sure what you mean by completely different? Is it just a
>different parser and table topology? Real hardware can support changing
>or at least modifying these today.
>

>>> But if this is only meant to be a rocker thing then why expose it on
>>> the driver side vs just compiling it on the qemu side? If its just
>>
>> I want user to be able to set the world/mode of the port on fly. No need to
>> re-set the hardware if possible to do it from driver.
>>

>But the user has no way to know what these strings are doing?
>

>>> for convenience and only meant for the emulated device we should be
>>> clear in the documentation and patch set.
>>
>> This is rocker-only patchset, where do you want to clear it?
>>

>I don't think this is reasonable from the kernel side to "know" or
>expose a driver is running on qemu like this. The kernel shouldn't
>know or care if a device is emulated or not.

Sure, kernel should not care. HW like HW. I don't understand your point.

>>> Final, comment can we abstract the interfaces better? An L2 and L3
>>> table could be mapped generically onto a table pipeline model if the
>>> driver gave some small hints like this is my l2 table and this is my l3
>>> table. Then you don't need all the world specific callbacks and the
>>> OF-DPA model just looks like an instance of a pipeline with some
>>> specific hints where to put l2/l3 rules.
>>
>> I think you are missing something, or I am. How do you map BPF world
>> pipeline into tables? The idea of the worlds is to do *completely*
>> different HW implementation, not just rewire some pre-defined tables.
>> For BPF world, there will be just BPF interpreter sitting inside HW
>> and running arbitrary code, no tables.
>
>hmm I need to document the prototype we have. I'll put that on my
>list to do.
>
>What we did is used "maps" to add the rules and then put a BPF
>classifier in front of them that selects a rule in the map.
>
>Maybe I need to see your code but if your pushing l2/l3 rules down
>those need to interact with a table I presume? At least this seems
>to be the most natural way. If your not pushing rules I'm not sure
>how you do L3 routing? maybe you only support l2 leaning.

I have no code. I don't care about what user pushes inside. He uses
cls_bpf to put the code inside the kernel, I'll offload that to rocker
HW, period.

>>> Like I said I'll send some patches, they will be a bit rough and
>>> against fm10k driver. I'll just send out what I have end of day here.
>>
>> Your patchset sounds totally unrelated to this one. Let's make that clear.
>>

>Its related in that if you expose your device model you do not need
>opaque strings to do wholesale reconfiguration of the device. Instead
>if the parts of the device that are configurable are exposed to the
>user they can build the "world" they want.

No, this is not about building. This is about choosing from fixed-sized
pre-defined list of choices. Again, no "profiles".