Date:	Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:01:01 +0100
From:	Phil Sutter <phil@....cc>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	tgraf@...g.ch, fengguang.wu@...el.com, wfg@...ux.intel.com,
	lkp@...org
Subject: Re: rhashtable: Use __vmalloc with GFP_ATOMIC for table allocation

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 10:39:56PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 08:08:39AM -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, __vmalloc() can be used with GFP_ATOMIC, have you tried this ?
>
> OK I've tried it and I no longer get any ENOMEM errors!

I can't confirm this, sadly. Using 50 threads, results seem to be stable
and good. But increasing the number of threads I can provoke ENOMEM
condition again. See attached log which shows a failing test run with
100 threads.

I tried to extract logs of a test run with as few as possible failing
threads, but wasn't successful. It seems like the error amplifies
itself: While having stable success with less than 70 threads, going
beyond a margin I could not identify exactly, much more threads failed
than expected. For instance, the attached log shows 70 out of 100
threads failing, while for me every single test with 50 threads was
successful.

HTH, Phil

View attachment "test_rhashtable_fail.log" of type "text/plain" (48553 bytes)