Date:	Tue, 8 Dec 2015 19:39:57 +0000
From:	"Liang, Kan" <kan.liang@...el.com>
To:	"Nelson, Shannon" <shannon.nelson@...el.com>
CC:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"bwh@...nel.org" <bwh@...nel.org>,
	"Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
	"andi@...stfloor.org" <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	"f.fainelli@...il.com" <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
	"alexander.duyck@...il.com" <alexander.duyck@...il.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"Wyborny, Carolyn" <carolyn.wyborny@...el.com>,
	"Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>,
	"Williams, Mitch A" <mitch.a.williams@...el.com>,
	"ogerlitz@...lanox.com" <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>,
	"edumazet@...gle.com" <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	"jiri@...lanox.com" <jiri@...lanox.com>,
	"sfeldma@...il.com" <sfeldma@...il.com>,
	"gospo@...ulusnetworks.com" <gospo@...ulusnetworks.com>,
	"sasha.levin@...cle.com" <sasha.levin@...cle.com>,
	"dsahern@...il.com" <dsahern@...il.com>,
	"tj@...nel.org" <tj@...nel.org>,
	"cascardo@...hat.com" <cascardo@...hat.com>,
	"corbet@....net" <corbet@....net>
Subject: RE: [RFC 1/2] net/ethtool: Add new coalescing parameter for queue

> For that matter, if you've set different coalesce values on various queues,
> what does asking for '-1' or "all the queues" mean and how should it return
> info? Shouldn't all the specific queues be shown?  Or do we now have to
> do an ethtool command for each and every queue?

The only way to show the value of specific queue is to apply queue option,
like "ethtool -c DEVNAME queue N"
If using "all the queues", the last value which set by ethtool -C will be
shown.

Yes, "all the queues" is misleading. I think we may force user to specify the
queue when using --show-coalesce. Queue 0 is the default queue.
If we really want to show all queues by default, we may need to
change the ethtool_get_coalesce interface. However, that will impact all
other drivers.
I'm not sure which one is better.

Thanks,
Kan