Date:	Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:21:13 +0100
From:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
To:	Robert Sander <r.sander@...nlein-support.de>,
	netfilter@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Configure ICMP error source address

On 08.01.2016 10:31, Robert Sander wrote:
> Is it a good idea to develop a kernel patch that makes it possible to
> select the first IPv4 address on dev lo with scope global as the source
> address for ICMP errors? Would that do any harm to the Internet at large?

I think the way to go is to have a ip rule option in which the admin can
add routes which get consulted only by the icmp source address
determination logic. I can assume that some other installations use
other interface number logic or multiple public addresses. This kind of
lookup seems to allow all possible lookup scenarios.

Thoughts?

Hannes