Date:	Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:17:06 +0200
From:	Emmanuel Grumbach <egrumbach@...il.com>
To:	Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@...to.com>
Cc:	Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com>,
	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>,
	"Grumbach, Emmanuel" <emmanuel.grumbach@...el.com>,
	"linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] iwlwifi: pcie: transmit queue auto-sizing

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior@...to.com> wrote:
> [...]
> few of them if my understanding is correct.
>
> The overhead associated with MU sounding is something I've been told
> only. Apparently for MU to pay off you need fairly big bursts. This
> implies that the more stations you have to service the less it makes
> sense to attempt MU if you consider latency.
>

>> Gradually reducing the maximum sized txop as a function of the number
>> of stations makes sense. If you have 10 stations pending delivery and
>> reduced the max txop to 1ms, you hurt bandwidth at that instant, but
>> by offering more service to more stations, in less time, they will
>> converge on a reasonable share of the bandwidth for each, faster[1].
>> And I'm sure that the person videoconferencing on a link like that
>> would appreciate getting some service inside of a 10ms interval,
>> rather than a 100ms.
>>
>> yes, there's overhead, and that's not the right number, which would
>> vary as to g,n,ac and successors.
>>
>> You will also get more opportunities to use mu-mimo with shorter
>> bursts extant and more stations being regularly serviced.
>>
>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-UnHDw02o at about 13:50
>
> This is my thinking as well, at least for most common use cases.
>
> If you try to optimize for throughput by introducing extra induced
> latency you might end up not being able to use aggregation in practice
> anyway because you won't be able to start up connections and ask for
> enough data - or at least that's what my intuition tells me.
>
> But, like I've mentioned, there's interest in making it possible to
> maximize for throughput (regardless of latency). This surely makes
> sense for synthetic UDP benchmarks. But does it make sense for any
> real-world application? No idea.
>

>>> The rule of thumb is the
>>> longer you wait the bigger capacity you can get.
>>
>> This is not strictly true as the "fountain" of packets is regulated by
>> acks on the other side of the link, and ramp up or down as a function
>> of service time and loss.
>
> Yes, if you consider real world cases, i.e. TCP, web traffic, etc.
> then you're correct.
>

>>> Apparently there's interest in maximizing throughput but it stands in
>>> direct opposition of keeping the latency down so I've been thinking
>>> how to satisfy both.
>>>
>>> The current approach ath10k is taking (patches in review [1][2]) is to
>>> use mac80211 software queues for per-station queuing, exposing queue
>>> state to firmware (it decides where frames should be dequeued from)
>>> and making it possible to stop/wake per-station tx subqueue with fake
>>> netdev queues. I'm starting to think this is not the right way though
>>> because it's inherently hard to control latency and there's a huge
>>> memory overhead associated with the fake netdev queues.
>>
>> What is this overhead?
>
> E.g. if you want to be able to maximize throughput for 50 MU clients
> you need to be able to queue, in theory, 50*200 (roughly) frames. This
> translates to both huge memory usage and latency *and* renders

Ok - now I understand. So yes the conclusion below (make fq_codel
station aware) makes a lot sense.

>> Applying things  like codel tend to dramatically shorten the amount of
>> skbs extant...
>
>> modern 802.11ac capable hardware has tons more
>> memory...
>
> I don't think it does. QCA988x is able to handle "only" 1424 tx
> descriptors (IOW 1500-byte long MSDUs) in the driver-to-firmware tx
> queue (it's a flat queue). QCA99x0 is able to handle 2500 if asked
> politely.

As I said, our design is not flat which removes for the firmware to
classify the packets by station to be able to build aggregates, but
the downside is the number of clients you can service.

> This is still not enough to satisfy the insane "maximize the
> capacity/throughput" expectations though.
>
> You could actually argue it's too much from the bufferbloat problem
> point of view anyway and Emmanuel's patch proves it is beneficial to
> buffer less in driver depending on the sojourn packet time.

In real life scenario, yes. But the more I read your comments the more
I get to the conclusion we (Intel) simply haven't been able to reach
the throughput you have which *requires* more latency to reach :)
Note that you always talk about overall throughput (to all the
stations at the same time) which, again, makes a lot of sense when you
work primarily as an AP. We look at the world with different
viewpoint.

>>> Also fq_codel
>>> is a less effective with this kind of setup.
>>
>> fq_codel's principal problems with working with wifi are long and
>> documented in the talk above.
>>
>>> My current thinking is that the entire problem should be solved via
>>> (per-AC) qdiscs, e.g. fq_codel. I guess one could use
>>> limit/target/interval/quantum knobs to tune it for higher latency of
>>> aggregation-oriented Wi-Fi links where long service time (think
>>> 100-200ms) is acceptable. However fq_codel is oblivious to how Wi-Fi
>>> works in the first place, i.e. Wi-Fi gets better throughput if you
>>> deliver bursts of packets destined to the same station. Moreover this
>>> gets even more complicated with MU-MIMO where you may want to consider
>>> spatial location (which influences signal quality when grouped) of
>>> each station when you decide which set of stations you're going to
>>> aggregate to in parallel. Since drivers have a finite tx ring this it
>>> is important to deliver bursts that can actually be aggregated
>>> efficiently. This means driver would need to be able to tell qdisc
>>> about per-flow conditions to influence the RR scheme in some way
>>> (assuming a qdiscs even understands flows; do we need a unified way of
>>> talking about flows between qdiscs and drivers?).
>>
>> This is a very good summary of the problems in layering fq_codel as it
>> exists today on top of wifi as it exists today. :/ Our conclusion
>> several years ago was that as the information needed to do things more
>> right was in the mac80211 layer that we could not evolve the qdisc
>> layer to suit, and needed to move the core ideas into the mac80211
>> layer.
>>
>> Things have evolved since, but I still think we can't get enough info
>> up to the qdisc layer (locks and so on) to use it sanely.
>
> The current per-station queue implementation in mac80211 doesn't seem
> sufficient. Each of these queues use a simple flat fifo queue
> (sk_buff_head) limited by packet count only with somewhat broken
> behavior when packet limit is reached as you end up with unfairly
> populated queues a lot. They need to have codel applied on them
> somehow. You'll eventually end up re-inventing fq_codel in mac80211
> making the qdisc redundant.
>
> Moreover these queues aren't per-station only. They are
> per-station-per-tid giving 16 queues per station. This is important
> because you can't aggregate traffic going out on different tids.
>
> Even without explicit air conditions feedback from mac80211 to
> fq_codel I suspect it'd be still beneficial if fq_codel was able to
> group (sub-)flows into per-station-tid and burst them out them in
> subsequent dequeue() calls so the chance they get aggregated is
> higher.

That would allow you to avoid classifying (and buffering) in HW and
then reduce the latency. Agree.