Date:	Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:53:30 +0100
From:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	idosch@...lanox.com, eladr@...lanox.com, yotamg@...lanox.com,
	ogerlitz@...lanox.com, yishaih@...lanox.com, dledford@...hat.com,
	sean.hefty@...el.com, hal.rosenstock@...il.com,
	eugenia@...lanox.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com,
	nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, hadarh@...lanox.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
	john.fastabend@...il.com, jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com,
	brouer@...hat.com, ivecera@...hat.com, rami.rosen@...el.com,
	gospo@...ulusnetworks.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 0/9] Introduce devlink interface and first
 drivers to use it

On 25.02.2016 22:12, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 09:44:43PM CET, hannes@...essinduktion.org wrote:
>> On 25.02.2016 21:12, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
>>> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:51:25 +0100

>>> I am very close to applying this series as-is.
>>>
>>> The clincher for me is that there is precendence in the nl80211 stuff,
>>> so obviously whatever userland infrastructure sits on top of that has
>>> found a way to deal whatever perceived shortcomings devlink has.
>>
>> Actually nl80211 phy interfaces aren't really managed by wpa_supplicant nor
>> NetworkManager, but they use net_device names to discover those later on. In
>> devlink we don't necessarily have netdev names, thus my only objection to
>> this series is to switch to stable topology identifiers.
>
> Hannes, as I mentioned earlier in one of my replies, you can choose to
> use devlink name or pci (or other) address for your commands. So you
> have your stable names even before udev takes care of renaming. It's up
> to you as a user what handle to use.

I understood that part from the beginning. In my opinion we should
simply keep APIs simple and clean, reduced to the minimum and let user
space build upon this.

If an entity in the kernel doesn't need a name and/or a naming database,
I would not bother implementing it. Not everyone is a kernel developer
who uses Linux and can infer the problems from dl --help. I bet most
users will use names at some point in time and they simply can't match
even with the udev quirks in place when setting up netbooting or
configuration must happen from the currently provided initramfs. This is
my point.

If names are fragile to use simply don't provide it if not necessary.

devlink is an interface of its own and the names won't be referenced by
other subsystems like iptables -i <name> or iproute. So why bother with
names in the kernel?

On the rest with netlink etc. I agree already. I just want to eliminate
possible mistakes by users.

Hope that makes my point more clear,
Hannes