Date:	Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:07:10 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	Vijay Pandurangan <vijayp@...ayp.ca>
CC:	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Evan Jones <ej@...njones.ca>,
	Cong Wang <cwang@...pensource.com>
Subject: Re: veth regression with "don’t modify ip_summed; doing so treats packets with bad checksums as good."

On 03/24/2016 09:45 PM, Vijay Pandurangan wrote:
> Actually, maybe they should be set to CHECKSUM_PARTIAL if we want veth
> to drop the packets if they have bad checksums before they hit the
> application level.

VETH is pretty special in that when you transmit a frame on one
device, it's pair receives it, and unless there is RAM corruption
or bugs in the kernel, then it cannot be corrupted.

But, if you are routing frames from the network to veth
devices, then the original packet could be corrupted, as
described in your patch.

Probably the right behaviour is to keep the old logic for packets
originating from sockets, at least.  I am not sure of a good way
to implement that.

As for testing, I am not sure.  Probably you have to make a good
effort and then just deal with fallout like what I found.  I would guess
that any of us who have ever written an interesting patch have also written
an interesting bug!

Thanks,
Ben

--