Date:	Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:11:19 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@....com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	"David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 2/2] udp: No longer use SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU

On 03/28/2016 11:55 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-03-28 at 11:44 -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
>> On 03/28/2016 10:00 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>> If you mean that a busy DNS resolver spends _most_ of its time doing :
>>>
>>> fd = socket()
>>> bind(fd  port=0)
>>>     < send and receive one frame >
>>> close(fd)
>>
>> Yes.  Although it has been a long time, I thought that say the likes of
>> a caching named in the middle between hosts and the rest of the DNS
>> would behave that way as it was looking-up names on behalf those who
>> asked it.
>
> I really doubt a modern program would dynamically allocate one UDP port
> for every in-flight request, as it would limit them to number of
> ephemeral ports concurrent requests (~30000 assuming the process can get
> them all on the host)

I was under the impression that individual DNS queries were supposed to
have not only random DNS query IDs but also originate from random UDP
source ports.  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5452 4.5 at least touches
on the topic but I don't see it making it hard and fast.  By section 10
though it is more explicit:

    This document recommends the use of UDP source port number
    randomization to extend the effective DNS transaction ID beyond the
    available 16 bits.

That being the case, if indeed there were to be 30000-odd concurrent
requests outstanding "upstream" from that location there'd have to be
30000 ephemeral ports in play.

rick