Date:	Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:17 +0100
From:	Amr Bekhit <amrbekhit@...il.com>
To:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, andrew@...n.ch
Subject: Re: Davicom DM9162 PHY supported in the kernel?

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your response. I had look through the bootup messages on my
Linux board and saw the following:

[    5.398437] libphy: MACB_mii_bus: probed
[    5.484375] macb f802c000.ethernet eth0: Cadence MACB rev
0x0001010c at 0xf802c000 irq 39 (70:b3:d5:ba:b8:90)
[    5.492187] macb f802c000.ethernet eth0: attached PHY driver
[Davicom DM9161A] (mii_bus:phy_addr=f802c000.etherne:00, irq=-1)

So it appears that the DM9161A driver is already being loaded for the
DM9162. I checked through the datasheet for the DM9162 and I confirmed
that the OUI was indeed the same as the one for the DM9161A. I can
only imagine that the company would do that because they are
compatible with each other. They are pin to pin compatible as well. As
you said, it's likely the existing PHY driver is compatible.

The reason why I suspected the PHY is because I have an embedded
system where I cannot seem to get any ethernet packets out from (see:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-embedded-and-single-board-computer-78/no-response-to-dhcp-discover-packets-sent-on-eth0-4175577259/).
One thing that was suggested to me was whether there was a problem
with the link between the MAC and PHY, which is what lead me to look
at the PHY drivers in Linux and hence this question.

Any ideas as to why I can't get any packets out? Is there a way for me
to test whether there is an issue between the MAC and PHY?

Thanks,

Amr