Date:	Thu, 16 Jun 2016 07:18:19 +0000
From:	Appana Durga Kedareswara Rao <appana.durga.rao@...inx.com>
To:	Phil Reid <preid@...ctromag.com.au>,
	Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre@...el.com>,
CC:	Punnaiah Choudary Kalluri <punnaia@...inx.com>,
	Harini Katakam <harinik@...inx.com>,
	Anirudha Sarangi <anirudh@...inx.com>,
	Michal Simek <michals@...inx.com>
Subject: RE: GMII2RGMII Converter support in macb driver

Thanks Phil Reid and Nicolas for your suggestions.

> >> But doing above changes making driver looks odd.
> >>
> >> could you please suggest any better option to add support for this IP
> >> in the macb driver?
> >
> > Appana,
> >
> > I certainly can't prototype the solution based on your datasheet and
> > the code sent... do a sensible proposal, then we can evaluate.
> >
> > As the IP is separated from the Eth controller, make it a separate
> > driver (an emulated phy one for instance... even if I don't know if it
> > makes sense).
> >
> > I don't know if others have already made such an adaptation layer
> > between GMII to RGMII but I'm pretty sure it can't be inserted into
> > the macb driver.
> >
> > Bye,
> >
> This sounds very similar to the altera emac-splitter.
> See stmmac driver for how they handled this.

I went through the flow of the stmmac driver but seems to me
It won't suit for my requirement as soc-fpga itself emulates as MAC.
But for gmii2rgmii converter it is not the case I am looking for a solution
Where it can be worked as an emulated PHY driver which doesn't have any
Vendor/Device ID's.

I saw this thread http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2013/03/05/50
But seems to be there are no further discussions.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions...

Regards,
Kedar.