Date:	Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:32:10 +0530
From:	domingo montoya <reach.domingomontoya@...il.com>
To:	Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@....mellanox.co.il>
Cc:	Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: mlx5 SRIOV VLAN support

Hello,

I was trying to understand which flow tables/groups/rules enable the
successful transfer of VLAN tagged packets from the VF.

My current understanding is the PF driver creates and configures only
two flow tables:

1. FDB flow table  (for regular forwarding of traffic)
2. ACL Ingress and Egress Flow Tables(for allow/drop rules and for VST)

There aren't any other kinds of flow tables created by the PF driver.
Is my understanding correct?

Other kinds of flow tables such as NIC Rx, NIC Tx, are created by the
VF driver and needn't be created by the PF driver.

FDB Flow Table
=============
There are 3 groups configured.

Addresses - for regular unicast/multicast traffic
Allmulti - for matching the packets whose destination mac matches 0x010000000000
Promiscuous - for packets that don't match the above flow groups

For these 3 flow groups, the flow rules(flow table entries) are added:

1. Addresses Group -

We add 3 rules:

Rule 1 -      The packets whose destination MAC matches the MAC
address configured by the VF, forward the packets to the VF vport
Rule 2 -      The packets whose destination MAC matches the multicast
MAC address configured by the VF , forward the packets to uplink
port(0xFFFF)
Rule 3 -      The packets whose destination MAC matches the multicast
MAC address configured by the VF , forward the packets to VF vport

2. AllMulti Group

The packets whose destination mac matches 0x010000000000, forward the
packet to VF vport
The packets whose destination mac matches 0x010000000000, forward the
packet to uplink

3. Promiscuous Group

The packets whose source_port(from misc headers) matches the
UPLINK(0xFFFF), forward them to the Vport 0( the vport belonging to
the PF)

As I understand the FDB flow table by default forwards the packets
from any VF to uplink.

I am thinking the combination of the default rule and the Addresses
Group rules enable us to send traffic(for e.g) from VF to another
machine on the network. Is that right?

Consider the case for ICMP traffic:

First the VF sends out a ARP request to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFF. Because this
is traffic from the VF, the FDB flow table forwards this to the uplink
port.
Now the other machine on the network receives this packet. Upon seeing
this ARP request, it sends an ARP reply to the source MAC added by the
VF to the ethernet header.
Once the FDB table receives this ARP reply, because we have  Rule 1,
forwards the packet to VF Vport 1.

Now the VF sends an ICMP ECHO request directly to the MAC address of
the other machine on the network. As this traffic is again from the
VF, the FDB flow table forwards this to the uplink port.
The other machine receives the packet and sends out the ICMP echo
response to the source MAC added by the VF to the ethernet header.
Once again the FDB table receives the ICMP echo response and because
of Rule 1, forwards the packet to VF vport 1.

This is how the traffic flows.

Is my understanding correct?

Now consider the case for sending VLAN tagged packets from the VF.

I configure it like this:

#ip link add link eth0 name eth0.100 type vlan id 100
#ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
#ifconfig eth0.100 10.10.10.250 up

I do the similar kind of configuration on another machine on the
network(which is by the way directly connected to the machine where
this VF is present without any switches).

Now when I ping from VF to the other machine the packets are not
received. However I can see the counters getting incremented on the PF
driver for the VLAN packets sent by the VF.

Packets sent from other machine to the VF are also not received. But I
can see the port counters being incremented.

Based on this I am assuming that the packets are getting dropped
somewhere because any flow is not configured correctly.

Can anyone please help me understand what I am missing? I really
appreciate this a lot!!

Few questions:

1. Apart from FDB and ACL tables are there any other tables that the
PF driver should create/configure?
2. Are the FDB rules enough to make sure the Vlan tagged traffic from
the VF is going through?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

Best Regards,
Domingo