Date:   Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:16:00 -0700
From:   Andrei Vagin <avagin@...il.com>
To:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
        Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
        Kirill Kolyshkin <kir@...nvz.org>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Subject: Continue a discussion about the netlink interface

Hello,

I want to return to a discussion about the netlink interface and how to
use it out of the network subsystem.

I'm developing a new interface to get information about processes
(task_diag). task_diag is like socket_diag but for processes. [0]

In the first two versions [1] [2], I used the netlink interface to
communicate with kernel. There was a discussion [4], that the netlink
interface is not suitable for this task and it has a few known issues
about security, so probably it should not be used for task_diag.

Then, in a third version [3], I used a proc transaction file
instead of the netlink interface. But it was not accepted too, because
we already have the netlink interface[5] and it's a bad idea to add one
more similar less-generic interface.

Then Andy Lutomirski suggested to rework netlink [6], but nobody
answered on his suggestion.

Can we continue this discussion and find a final solution?

Maybe we need to schedule a face-to-face meeting on one of conferences?
It may be Linux Plumbers, for example.

Here is Andy's idea how the netlink interface can be reworked:

[6] https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg109212.html
[5] https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/4/785
[4] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/6/708
[3] https://lwn.net/Articles/683371/