Date:   Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:43:09 -0700
From:   Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
To:     Mickaël Salaün <mic@...ikod.net>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Sargun Dhillon <sargun@...gun.me>,
        kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, cgroups@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 09/10] landlock: Handle cgroups (performance)

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 09:35:14PM +0200, Mickaël Salaün wrote:

> On 27/08/2016 20:06, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:

> >> It's probably a misunderstanding. Contrary to seccomp which run all the
> >> thread's BPF programs for any syscall, Landlock only run eBPF programs
> >> for the triggered LSM hooks, if their type match. Indeed, thanks to the
> >> multiple eBPF program types and contrary to seccomp, Landlock only run
> >> an eBPF program when needed. Landlock will have almost no performance
> >> overhead if the syscalls do not trigger the watched LSM hooks for the
> >> current process.
> >
> > that's not what I see in the patch 06/10:
> > all lsm_hooks in 'static struct security_hook_list landlock_hooks'
> > (which eventually means all lsm hooks) will call
> > static inline int landlock_hook_##NAME
> > which will call landlock_run_prog()
> > which does:
> > + for (landlock_ret = current->seccomp.landlock_ret;
> > +      landlock_ret; landlock_ret = landlock_ret->prev) {
> > +    if (landlock_ret->triggered) {
> > +       ctx.cookie = landlock_ret->cookie;
> > +       for (prog = current->seccomp.landlock_prog;
> > +            prog; prog = prog->prev) {
> > +               if (prog->filter == landlock_ret->filter) {
> > +                       cur_ret = BPF_PROG_RUN(prog->prog, (void *)&ctx);
> > +                       break;
> > +               }
> > +       }
> >
> > that is unacceptable overhead and not a scalable design.
> > It kinda works for 3 lsm_hooks as in patch 6, but doesn't scale
> > as soon as more lsm hooks are added.
>
> Good catch! I forgot to check the program (sub)type in the loop to only
> run the needed programs for the current hook. I will fix this.
>

> >> As said above, Landlock will not run an eBPF programs when not strictly
> >> needed. Attaching to a cgroup will have the same performance impact as
> >> attaching to a process hierarchy.
> >
> > Having a prog per cgroup per lsm_hook is the only scalable way I
> > could come up with. If you see another way, please propose.
> > current->seccomp.landlock_prog is not the answer.
>
> Hum, I don't see the difference from a performance point of view between
> a cgroup-based or a process hierarchy-based system.
>
> Maybe a better option should be to use an array of pointers with N
> entries, one for each supported hook, instead of a unique pointer list?

yes, clearly array dereference is faster than link list walk.
Now the question is where to keep this prog_array[num_lsm_hooks] ?
Since we cannot keep it inside task_struct, we have to allocate it.
Every time the task is creted then. What to do on the fork? That
will require changes all over. Then the obvious optimization would be
to share this allocated array of prog pointers across multiple tasks...
and little by little this new facility will look like cgroup.
Hence the suggestion to put this array into cgroup from the start.

> Anyway, being able to attach an LSM hook program to a cgroup thanks to
> the new BPF_PROG_ATTACH seems a good idea (while keeping the possibility
> to use a process hierarchy). The downside will be to handle an LSM hook
> program which is not triggered by a seccomp-filter, but this should be
> needed anyway to handle interruptions.

what do you mean 'not triggered by seccomp' ?
You're not suggesting that this lsm has to enable seccomp to be functional?
imo that's non starter due to overhead.