Date:   Fri, 2 Sep 2016 18:02:56 +0100
From:   Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
To:     Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@...eradapt.com>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        CAI Qian <caiqian@...hat.com>,
        Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>,
        Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>,
        Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@...ileactivedefense.com>,
        Eric Sandeen <esandeen@...hat.com>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: possible circular locking dependency detected

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:10:13PM +0100, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> > Bullshit.  kern_path_create() *does* mean the same thing in all cases.
> > Namely, find the parent, lock it and leave the final name component for
> > the create-type operation.  It sure as hell is not guaranteed to take
> > *all* locks that are going to be taken in process of mknod/mkdir/etc.
> > Never had been.
>
> This isn't about "all locks", it's about the lock in question. No other
> mknod operation (I'm aware of) calls this with another superblock than
> the one already acted upon by kern_path_create. This may be wrong (if
> so, feel free to correct it) but it's not "bullshit" (intentional
> deception in order to sell something to someone).

Never had been promised.  And it's not just this lock - e.g. ->i_rwsem is
taken on the parent by kern_path_create() and on parent in underlying
filesystem by ecryptfs ->mknod() (as well as overlayfs one).  bind/bind
deadlock - one for a path to ecryptfs, another for that on the raw
filesystem behind it (which can be mounted elsewhere/in another namespace/etc.)
with those paths ending in the matching directories (the last components may
be same or different - doesn't matter)