Date:   Thu, 08 Sep 2016 06:28:03 -0700
From:   Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:     John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
Cc:     Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        jhs@...atatu.com
Subject: Re: [RFC Patch net-next 5/6] net_sched: use rcu in fast path

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 23:04 -0700, John Fastabend wrote:

> So the actual issue as I see it is with the late binding actions the
> ones created with the ill documented 'tc action' syntax.
>
> If you add a rule here and then bind it to a filter (stealing Jamals
> example),
>
>   tc actions add action skbedit mark 10 index 1
>   tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 1 u32\
>              match ip dst 17.0.0.1/32 flowid 1:10 action skbedit index 1
>
> then you can modify this action later with the following
>
>   tc actions replace action ....
>
> So for an action such as act_mirred we may end up running with a
> partially updated state from this,
>
> 	tcf_mirred_init(...)
> 	[...]
>
> 		m->tcf_action = parm->action;
> 	        m->tcfm_eaction = parm->eaction;
>
> 		[...]
>

> and then in the execution of the action,
>

> 	tcf_mirred(...)
> 		[...]
> 	        retval = READ_ONCE(m->tcf_action);
> 		[...]
>                 if (m->tcfm_eaction != TCA_EGRESS_MIRROR)
> 		[...]
>

> So its at least possible I think these could be interleaved on multiple
> cpus.

Sure, this was very clear when I wrote this code. Otherwise I would have
used an intermediate object and one rcu_dereference() instead of the
READ_ONCE().

> Notice that some of the actions are fine though and don't have this
> issue act_bpf for example is fine.
>
> I think we can either fix it in the hash table create part of the
> list as this series does or just let each action handle it on its own.

If we want a fix for stable kernels we want a tc_mirred fix on its own,
and I was planning to do so.

Given that a "tc qdisc replace ..." drops all packets sitting in the old
qdisc, I never thought someone would actually depend on atomically
switching tc_mirred parameters. I for sure did not care.

Thanks.