Date:   Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:16:16 +0300
From:   Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To:     "Mintz, Yuval" <Yuval.Mintz@...ium.com>
Cc:     Yuval Mintz <Yuval.Mintz@...gic.com>,
        Mark Bloch <markb@...lanox.com>,
        Ram Amrani <Ram.Amrani@...gic.com>,
        "dledford@...hat.com" <dledford@...hat.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Ariel Elior <Ariel.Elior@...gic.com>,
        Michal Kalderon <Michal.Kalderon@...gic.com>,
        Rajesh Borundia <rajesh.borundia@...gic.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 02/11] Add RoCE driver framework

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 07:18:01AM +0000, Mintz, Yuval wrote:

> >>  I believe this is mostly to follow same line as qede which also defines
> > > 'debug' module parameter for allowing easy user control of debug
> > > prints [& specifically for probe prints, which can't be controlled
> > > otherwise].
>
> > Can you give us an example where dynamic debug and tracing infrastructures
> > are not enough?
>
> > AFAIK, most of these debug module parameters are legacy copy/paste
> > code which is useless in real life scenarios.
>
> Define 'enough'; Using dynamic debug you can provide all the necessary
> information and at an even better granularity that's achieved by suggested
> infrastructure,  but is harder for an end-user to use. Same goes for tracing.
>
> The 'debug' option provides an easy grouping for prints related to a specific
> area in the driver.

It is hard to agree with you that user which knows how-to load modules
with parameters won't success to enable debug prints.

In addition, global increase in debug level for whole driver will create
printk storm in dmesg and give nothing to debuggability.

Thanks

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)