Date:   Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:02:53 -0700
From:   Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
To:     Paul Moore <paul@...l-moore.com>
Cc:     Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Elad Raz <e@...draz.com>, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch net] net: saving irq context for peernet2id()

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Paul Moore <paul@...l-moore.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com> wrote:
>> This is what I did in the follow up patch. I attach the updated version
>> in this email for you to review ...
>
> I think there is still some confusion.  The second patch you posted
> still has two queues with potentially duplicated (minus the length
> tweaks) skbs.

The current code without my patch is already this, the only difference
is there is no queue for multicast case, duplication is already there.
So, why do you expect me to fix two problems in one patch? This
is totally unfair, it is probably based on your eager to revert...

> What I am talking about is queuing the skb in audit_log_end(), without
> any modification, waking up the kauditd_thread, and then letting the
> kauditd_thread() function do both the netlink multicast and unicast
> sends, complete with the skb_copy() and length tweaks.  This way we
> only queue one copy of the skb.  To help make this more clear, I'll
> work up a patch and CC you.

Sure, I hate the skb_copy() too since it could be in a IRQ handler,
I didn't remove it because that would make the patch more complicated
than the current one. We can always improve this later for the next merge
window, can't we? Why are you pushing something irrelevant to my
patch to make it unnecessarily complicated?

> However, let me say this one more time: this is *NOT* a change I want
> to make during the -rcX cycle, this is a change that we should do for
> -next and submit during the next merge window after is has been tested
> and soaked in linux-next.  Given where we are at right now - it's
> Friday and I expect -rc2 on Sunday - I think the best course of action
> is to revert the original patch and move on.  I'm going to do that now
> and I'll submit it to netdev as soon as I've done some basic sanity
> checks.

The problem with this is: I would have to revert this revert for the next
merge window, in the end you would have the following in git log:

1) original one
2) revert
3) audit fix
4) revert the above revert

comparing with:

1) original one
2) audit fix

You just want to make things unnecessarily complicated.

You need to really CALM DOWN, -rc2 is NOT late, assuming -rc7 is the final
release candidate, we still have 5 weeks to fix it, why are you so scared?

We have dealt much more complicated patch/backport for networking
for -stable. Please don't panic.