Date:   Tue, 25 Oct 2016 19:50:53 +0800
From:   Dongpo Li <lidongpo@...ilicon.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
CC:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: question about function igmp_stop_timer() in net/ipv4/igmp.c

On 2016/10/25 15:39, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 09:13:54AM +0800, Dongpo Li wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,

>>> RFC 2236 says:
>>>
>>> 2.  Introduction
>>>
>>>    The Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) is used by IP hosts to
>>>    report their multicast group memberships to any immediately-
>>>    neighboring multicast routers.
>>>
>>> Are Box A or B multicast routers?
>> Thank you for your comments.
>> Both Box A and B are IP hosts, not multicast routers.
>> And the RFC says: IGMP is used by "IP hosts" to report their multicast group membership.
>
> They report their membership to gateways, not to each other. The
> gateway will then arrange for multicast traffic for the group from
> other subnets to be forwarded to this subnet. You don't need IGMP to
> receive local traffic.
>
> Also, this timer is to do with responding to IGMP querier, typically
> the multicast gateway. The querier keeps track of if a group is in use
> within a subnet. It listens to group joins and optionally leaves. It
> also periodically sends out IGMP querier requests, asking who is
> interested in what groups. The hosts use a random delay before
> answering, and if some other hosts replies about a group they are a
> member of, they don't send a response themselves. One is enough.

Of course, this timer is to do with responding to IGMP querier.
I mean, if the timer has expired, the host must have sent the IGMP responding message,
maybe IGMP join group message or responding router's IGMP querier.
So the function igmp_stop_timer() should not set im->reporter to 0 if the timer has expired.
Otherwise the host can't send IGMP leave message when it leaves the group because the im->reporter is 0.

    Regards,
    Dongpo

.