Date:   Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:59:30 +0800
From:   Baoquan He <bhe@...hat.com>
To:     Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>
Cc:     Sony Chacko <sony.chacko@...gic.com>,
        Dept-HSGLinuxNICDev@...gic.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, dvteam@...gen.mpg.de,
        dyoung@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [bnx2] [Regression 4.8] Driver loading fails without firmware

Hi Paul,

On 10/30/16 at 12:05pm, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Baoquan,

> > > Well, I looked through the commits and found that one, which would explain
> > > the changed behavior.
> > >
> > > To be sure, and to follow your request, I took Linux 4.8.4 and reverted your
> > > commit (attached). Then I deleted the firmware again from the initramfs, and
> > > rebooted. The devices showed up just fine as before.
> > >
> > > So to summarize, the commit is indeed the culprit.
>
> > Sorry for this.
> >
> > Could you tell the steps to reproduce? I will find a machine with bnx2
> > NIC and check if there's other ways.
>
> Well, delete the bnx2 firmware files from the initramfs, and start the
> system.
>
> Did you read my proposal, to try to load the firmware twice, that means,
> basically revert only the deleted lines of your commit, and add an
> additional check?

Thanks for your information!

I got a x86_64 system with bnx2 NIC, and clone Linus's git tree into
that system. Then building a new kernel 4.9.0-rc3+ with new initramfs.
But when I uncompressed the new initramfs, didn't find bnx2 related
firmware, no bnx2 files under lib/firmware of uncompressed initramfs
folder. While I did see them in /lib/firmware/bnx2/bnx2-xxxxx.fw. Could
you please say it more specifically how I should do to reproduce the
failure you encountered? I think your proposal looks good, just need a
test before post.

Thanks
Baoquan