Date:   Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:09:27 +0100
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@...inera.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: DSA vs. SWTICHDEV ?

> Something like that. I need to run routing protocols on the switch I/Fs and egress
> pkgs on selected switch I/Fs bypassing ARP, just like DSA does with its vendor
> tags.

Does the switch have an equivalent tagging protocol? If you are
building a tree of switches you need something like this for frames
going from the host via intermediate switches and out a specific port
on a remote switch.

> We might have a tree as well so now I really wonder: Given we write a
> proper switchdev driver, can it support switchtrees without touching
> switchdev infra structure?

Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> is probably the best person to ask about
this. DSA hides the knowledge that there is multiple switches. To
switchdev, a tree of switches looks like one switch. This is not
because of switchdev, it is just the existing DSA code worked when
switchdev came along.

 If not I guess we will attach a physical
> eth I/F to the switch and use both DSA and switchdev to support both trees
> and HW offload.

This only works if the switch has the necessary tagging protocol to
pass through multiple switches.

> We have on an existing board with a BCM ROBO switch with lots of ports(>24),
> managed over SPI. Looking at BCM DSA tag code it looks like it only supports
> some 8 ports or so. I still have to find out if this is a limitation in BCM tagging
> protocol or if just not impl. in DSA yet.

Hi Florian, care to comment?

As far as i understand, the tag used for SF2 and B53 does not support
a tree of switches. But the big ROBO switches might have a different
tagging protocol.

  Andrew