Date:   Fri, 9 Dec 2016 17:44:03 -0800
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>
Cc:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@...opsys.com>,
        Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>,
        lars.persson@...s.com, rabin.vincent@...s.com,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, CARLOS.PALMINHA@...opsys.com,
        Jie.Deng1@...opsys.com
Subject: Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS

Le 12/09/16 à 16:16, Andy Shevchenko a écrit :
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:52 AM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> It's kind of sad that customers of that IP (stmmac, amd-xgbe, sxgbe)
>
>> did
>> actually pioneer the upstreaming effort, but it is good to see people
>> from Synopsys willing to fix that in the future.
>
> Wait, you would like to tell that we have more than 2 drivers for the
> same (okay, same vendor) IP?!
> It's better to unify them earlier, than have n+ copies.

Unfortunately that is the case, see this email:

https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg142796.html

dwc_eth_qos and stmmac have some overlap. There seems to be work
underway to unify these two to begin with.

> P.S. Though, I don't see how sxgbe got in the list. First glance on
> the code doesn't show similarities.

Well samsung/sxgbe looks potentially similar to amd/xgbe, but that's
just my cursory look at the code, it may very well be something entirely
different. The descriptor formats just look suspiciously similar.
--
Florian