Date:   Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:46:41 +0000
From:   Stephen Warren <swarren@...dia.com>
To:     Niklas Cassel <niklas.cassel@...s.com>,
        Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@...opsys.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        "Andy Shevchenko" <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>
CC:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>,
        "larper@...s.com" <larper@...s.com>,
        "rabinv@...s.com" <rabinv@...s.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "CARLOS.PALMINHA@...opsys.com" <CARLOS.PALMINHA@...opsys.com>,
        "Jie.Deng1@...opsys.com" <Jie.Deng1@...opsys.com>,
        "pavel@....cz" <pavel@....cz>, Thierry Reding <treding@...dia.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS

Niklas Cassel wrote at Monday, December 12, 2016 9:25 AM:
> However, I've noticed that NVIDIA has extended the DWC EQoS DT binding,
> I don't how easy it would be for them to switch to stmmac's DT binding.
> (Adding Stephen Warren to CC.)

I don't believe there's any issue switching drivers, so long as the new one
works on our HW. However, we can't switch DT binding since that's an ABI.
So, if we switch drivers, the "new" driver needs to support all existing
DT bindings.

FWIW, I'd recommend that we don't name the "new" driver stmmac or anything
like that. Rather, name it after the IP block so that any new user of the same
IP block will find the name they expect in the source tree, and just use it.
Renaming the "new" driver to dwc_eqos or similar might be one way to achieve
that.

--
nvpublic