Date:   Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:47:48 -0800
From:   "Vishwanathapura, Niranjana" <niranjana.vishwanathapura@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe@...idianresearch.com>
Cc:     Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
        "ira.weiny" <ira.weiny@...el.com>,
        Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        dennis.dalessandro@...el.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/10] HFI Virtual Network Interface Controller (VNIC)

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:07:13AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:28:06AM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>> 1) Since your intent is to make this work with multiple versions of the
>> hfi drivers, I disagree with Jason that just because there is only one
>> driver today that we should keep it simple.  Design it right from the
>> beginning of multi driver is your intent is, IMO, a better way to go.
>> You'll work out the bugs in the initial implementation and when it comes
>> time to add the second driver, things will go much more smoothly.
>
>If that is your position then this should be a straight up IB ULP that
>works with any IB hardware.
>
>There is nothing HFI specific about it except for the
>micro-optimization of pushing packets via SDMA instead of post_send,
>and that same micro optimization probably applies to ipoib.

Responded on the other thread. As mentioned, there are differences between
ipoib and hfi_vnic interface. For hfi_vnic, we need simple interface as defined
in the include/rdma/opa_hfi.h that represents HW to put/get already
encapsulated OPA packets.

>In other words, lets see the first version as a straight ULP with no
>special HFI hooks, then we can discuss how best to micro optimize it
>for HFI SDMA.

As mentioned in other thread, that would be putting hfi_vnic_ctrl_ops in
ib_device structure.

Niranjana