Date:   Thu, 02 Feb 2017 20:05:19 -0600
From:   Joel Cunningham <joel.cunningham@...com>
To:     Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Understanding mutual exclusion between rtnl_lock and rcu_read_lock

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 5:52 PM, Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Joel Cunningham <joel.cunningham@...com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m studying the synchronization used on different parts of struct net_device and I’m struggling to understand how structure member modifications in dev_ioctl are synchronized.  Getters in dev_ifsioc_locked() are only holding rcu_read_lock() while setters in dev_ifsioc() are holding rtnl_lock, but not using RCU APIs.  I was specifically looking at SIOCGIFHWADDR/SIOCSIFHWADDR.  What’s to prevent one CPU from executing a getter and another CPU from executing a setter resulting in possibly a torn read/write?  I didn’t see anything in rtnl_lock() that would wait for any rcu_reader_lock() critical sections (on other CPUs) to finish before acquiring the mutex.
>>
>> Is there something about dev_ioctl that prevents parallel execution? or maybe something I still don’t understand about the RCU implementation?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joel
>
> My advice would be to spend more time familiarizing yourself with RCU.
> The advantage of RCU is that it allows for updates while other threads
> are accessing the data.

Thanks for the follow up!

I have been trying to find more examples of RCU where the writer updates the structure in-place without using RCU APIs, but so far haven’t found anything

In the case of SIOCSIFHWADDR, we get a pointer to the net_device through __dev_get_by_name() and then pass it to dev_set_mac_address() to modify through ndo_set_mac_address().  I didn’t see any uses of RCU APIs on the writer side and that’s why I figured there was something going on with rtnl_lock() that I didn’t understand or that the dev_ioctl function wasn’t re-entrant from another CPU

> The rtnl_lock is just meant to prevent
> multiple writers from updating the data simultaneously.  So between
> writers the rtnl_lock is used to keep things synchronized, but between
> writers and readers the mechanism that is meant to protect the data
> and keep it sane is RCU.

Your description of rtnl_lock make sense.  I’m still confused with how the setter side code (in dev_ifsioc) is using RCU since I don’t see any APIs called.

Thanks,

Joel