Date:   Sat, 8 Apr 2017 22:29:02 +0200
From:   Paul Fiterau Brostean <p.fiterau-brostean@...ence.ru.nl>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     Frits Vaandrager <F.Vaandrager@...ru.nl>
Subject: Non-standard TCP stack processing of packets with unacceptable ACK
 numbers

Hello,

My name is Paul Fiterau, I am a PhD student at Radboud University whose
focus for the past few years has been among others to develop and apply
inference techniques on TCP stacks in order to obtain nice models, and
to verify them if possible using formal methods.  We contacted you on
something similar 2 years back.

The older (3.19 kernel release) Linux TCP stack we analyze exhibits
behavior that seems odd to me. The scenario is as follows (all packets
have empty payloads, no window scaling, rcv/snd window size should not
be a factor):

       TEST HARNESS (CLIENT)                        LINUX SERVER

   1.  -                                          LISTEN (server listen, then accepts)

   2.  - --> <SEQ=100><CTL=SYN>               --> SYN-RECEIVED

   3.  - <-- <SEQ=300><ACK=101><CTL=SYN,ACK>  <-- SYN-RECEIVED

   4.  - --> <SEQ=101><ACK=301><CTL=ACK>      --> ESTABLISHED

   5.  - <-- <SEQ=301><ACK=101><CTL=FIN,ACK>  <-- FIN WAIT-1 (server opts to close the data connection calling "close" on the connection socket)

   6.  - --> <SEQ=101><ACK=99999><CTL=FIN,ACK> --> CLOSING (client sends FIN,ACK with not yet sent acknowledgement number)

   7.  - <-- <SEQ=302><ACK=102><CTL=ACK>      <-- CLOSING (ACK is 102 instead of 101, why?)

... (silence from CLIENT)

   8.  - <-- <SEQ=301><ACK=102><CTL=FIN,ACK>  <-- CLOSING (retransmission, again ACK is 102)

Now, note that packet 6 while having the expected sequence number,
acknowledges something that wasn't sent by the server. So I would expect
the packet to maybe prompt an ACK response from the server, and then be
ignored. Yet it is not ignored and actually leads to an increase of the
acknowledgement number in the server's retransmission of the FIN,ACK
packet. The explanation I found is that the FIN  in packet 6 was
processed, despite the acknowledgement number being unacceptable.
Further experiments indeed show that the server processes this FIN,
transitioning to CLOSING, then on receiving an ACK for the FIN it had
send in packet 5, the server (or better said connection) transitions
from CLOSING to TIME_WAIT (as signaled by netstat).

I attached a capture showing the scenario, as well as an equivalent
capture for a Windows 10 TCP server, which behaves exactly as I would
expect by  not increasing the expected sequence number after packet 6,
and thus not processing the FIN flag received.

I hope someone more knowledgeable can clear this up for me. Is it ok for
the server to process the FIN bit in a packet with an unacceptable
acknowledgement number? Could this be an inconsistency in the tested stack?

Thanks, Paul.

P.S. Our most recent publication on relating to TCP was at CAV (some big conference), article link for anyone interested
http://www.sws.cs.ru.nl/publications/papers/fvaan/FJV16/main.pdf . Now we are working on applying more advanced techniques that abstract less and capture more behavior.
P.S.2 Potentially violated RFC fragment:
    3.  If the connection is in a synchronized state (ESTABLISHED,
     FIN-WAIT-1, FIN-WAIT-2, CLOSE-WAIT, CLOSING, LAST-ACK, TIME-WAIT),
     any unacceptable segment (out of window sequence number or
     unacceptible acknowledgment number) must elicit only an empty
     acknowledgment segment containing the current send-sequence number
     and an acknowledgment indicating the next sequence number expected
     to be received, and *the connection remains in the same state*.

Download attachment "linux.pcapng" of type "application/octet-stream" (916 bytes)

Download attachment "win.pcapng" of type "application/octet-stream" (824 bytes)