Date:   Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:25:03 +0000
From:   "Williams, Mitch A" <mitch.a.williams@...el.com>
To:     'David Miller' <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "Yuval.Mintz@...ium.com" <Yuval.Mintz@...ium.com>
CC:     "gerlitz.or@...il.com" <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "jogreene@...hat.com" <jogreene@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next 04/14] i40e: dump VF information in debugfs

Honestly, Dave, I try very hard not to put random crap into debugfs. I felt that there was enough utility here to send this one up.

We already have debugfs hooks upstream that allow us to dump information about a specific VSI. This just adds a tiny bit to that to allow us to link a VF with its specific VSI. It's the missing link, if you will.

I'm not adding backdoor hooks to do naughty things, I'm just (very slightly) enhancing what's already there.

This particular piece has been very useful for my debugging, and we have customers that have asked for it as well.

If you still want to reject this, I won't fight and cry and stomp my little feet. But I honestly think that this a) has genuine utility, b) is fairly device specific, and c) isn't crap.

-Mitch