Date:   Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:41:21 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Andy Gospodarek <andy@...yhouse.net>
Cc:     Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        "xdp-newbies@...r.kernel.org" <xdp-newbies@...r.kernel.org>,
        brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: xdp_redirect ifindex vs port. Was: best API for
 returning/setting egress port?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:55:44 -0400
Andy Gospodarek <andy@...yhouse.net> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure I understand the "lives inside the kernel" bit. I assumed
> > > the 'map' should be a bpf map and behave like any other bpf map.
> > >
> > > I wanted a new map to be defined, something like this from the bpf programmer
> > > side.
> > >
> > > struct bpf_map_def SEC("maps") port_table =
> > > 	.type = BPF_MAP_TYPE_PORT_CONNECTION,
> > > 	.key_size = sizeof(u32),
> > > 	.value_size = BPF_PORT_CONNECTION_SIZE,
> > > 	.max_entries = 256,
> > > };
> >
> > I like the idea.
> > We have prog_array, perf_event_array, cgroup_array map specializations.
> > This one can be new netdev_array with some new bpf_redirect-like helper
> > accessing it.

> > > So the user space application that is loading the program also needs
> > > to handle this map. This seems correct to me. But I don't see the
> > > value in making some new port table when we already have well understood
> > > framework for maps.
> >
> > +1

> > > I think the above optimization should be allowed. And agree multiple port
> > > tables (maps?) is needed. Again all this points to using standard maps
> > > logic in my mind. For permissions and different domains, which I think
> > > you were starting to touch on, it looks like we could extend the pinning API.
> > > At the moment it does an inode_permission(inode, MAY_WRITE) check but I
> > > presume this could be extended. None of this would be needed in v1 and
> > > could be added subsequently. read-only maps seems doable.
> >
> > this is great idea. Once BPF_MAP_TYPE_NETDEV_ARRAY is populated
> > the user space can make it readonly to prevent further changes.
> >
> > From user space it can be done similar to perf_events/cgroups as well.
> > bpf_map_update_elem(&netdev_array, &port_num, &ifindex)
> > should work.
> > For bpf_map_lookup_elem() from such netdev_array we can return
> > ifindex back.
> > The bpf_map_show_fdinfo() can be customized as well to pretty print
> > ifindexes of netdevs stored in there.
> >

> I agree with both of you on all of these points.  Having the port
> redirection in a new type of map and/or array seems like the way to go.
>
> I understood Jesper's perspecitive when thinking about a way to pass a
> port-table id down, but I think the idea that the userspace loader code
> defining the maps is going to be the one making this link is the right
> idea and handling things like ifindex changes (rather than identifiers
> that perform lookups in other tables) is going to have to be yet another
> exercise left up to the...user.  :-)

I love this idea. Integrating the port table closer with the bpf-maps
infrastructure makes sense.  This gives me a place to hook the code into,
instead of (re)inventing a new infrastructure for this port table, and the
interface will be more natural from a bpf-API point of view.

When registering/attaching a XDP/bpf program, we would just send the
file-descriptor for this port-map along (like we do with the bpf_prog
FD). Plus, it own ingress-port number this program is in the port-map.

It is not clear to me, in-which-data-structure on the kernel-side we
store this reference to the port-map and ingress-port. As today we only
have the "raw" struct bpf_prog pointer. I see several options:

1. Create a new xdp_prog struct that contains existing bpf_prog,
a port-map pointer and ingress-port. (IMHO easiest solution)

2. Just create a new pointer to port-map and store it in driver rx-ring
struct (like existing bpf_prog), but this create a race-challenge
replacing (cmpxchg) the program (or perhaps it's not a problem as it
runs under rcu and RTNL-lock).

3. Extend bpf_prog to store this port-map and ingress-port, and have a
fast-way to access it.  I assume it will be accessible via
bpf_prog->bpf_prog_aux->used_maps[X] but it will be too slow for XDP.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer