Date:   Thu, 4 May 2017 17:37:38 +0300
From:   Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To:     Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Cc:     Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] iproute: Add support for extended ack to rtnl_talk

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 11:36:36AM +0200, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 01:56 AM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Add support for extended ack error reporting via libmnl. This
> > is a better alternative to use existing library and not copy/paste
> > code from the kernel. Also make arguments const where possible.
> >
> > Add a new function rtnl_talk_extack that takes a callback as an input
> > arg. If a netlink response contains extack attributes, the callback is
> > is invoked with the the err string, offset in the message and a pointer
> > to the message returned by the kernel.
> >
> > Adding a new function allows commands to be moved over to the
> > extended error reporting over time.
> >
> > For feedback, compile tested only.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is the plan regarding converting iproute2
> over to libmnl (ip, tc, ss, ...)? In 2015, tipc tool was the first
> user merged that requires libmnl, the only other user today in the
> tree is devlink, which even seems to define its own libmnl library
> helpers. What is the clear benefit/rationale of outsourcing this to
> libmnl? I always was the impression we should strive for as little
> dependencies as possible?

And I would like to get direction for the RDMA tool [1] which I'm
working on it now.

The overall decision was to use netlink and put it under iproute2
umbrella. Currently, I have working RFC which is based on
legacy sysfs interface to ensure that we are converging on
user-experience even before moving to actual netlink defines.

An I would like to continue to work on netlink interface, but which lib interface
should I need to base rdmatool's netlink code?

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg148523.html

> I don't really like that we make extended ack reporting now dependent
> on libmnl, which further diverts from iproute's native nl library vs
> requiring to install another nl library, making the current status
> quo even worse ... :/
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)