Date:   Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:40:23 -0400
From:   Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>
To:     Chenbo Feng <fengc@...gle.com>,
        Jeffrey Vander Stoep <jeffv@...gle.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, SELinux <Selinux@...ho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: Permissions for eBPF objects

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 12:52 -0700, Chenbo Feng via Selinux wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Jeffrey Vander Stoep <jeffv@...gle.
> com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.go
> > v> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 11:01 -0700, Jeffrey Vander Stoep via
> > > Selinux

> > > Is it possible to create the map/program in one process (with
> > > CAP_SYS_ADMIN), pass the resulting fd to netd, and then use it
> > > there
> > > (without requiring CAP_SYS_ADMIN in netd itself)?
> >
> > That might work. Any use of bpf() requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN but netd
> > could potentially just apply the prog_fd to a socket:
> >
> >            setsockopt(sockfd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_ATTACH_BPF,
> >                       &prog_fd, sizeof(prog_fd));
> >

> This specific case might work. But other map and program related
> operations can
> only be done through syscalls. And the syscall can be set to only
> allow
> CAP_SYS_ADMIN processes to use it or open to all processes. So when
> the
> CAP_SYS_ADMIN limitation is enforced, netd will not be able to use
> any of the
> syscalls such as map_look_up, map_update, map_delete even if a
> CAP_SYS_ADMIN process passed the fd to it. Here is how this
> enforcement
> implemented:
> http://elixir.free-
> electrons.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/bpf/syscall.c#L1005

I guess the question is whether netd needs to perform any of those
operations itself, or if all of that can be done by another process and
netd can just receive the fd over a unix socket and attach it.

Not opposed to adding a LSM hook to bpf() and implementing a SELinux
check there, just not 100% sure if you need it.