Date:   Thu, 7 Sep 2017 07:34:11 +0200
From:   Henrik Austad <henrik@...tad.us>
To:     Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@...el.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, jhs@...atatu.com, xiyou.wangcong@...il.com,
        jiri@...nulli.us, intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org,
        andre.guedes@...el.com, ivan.briano@...el.com,
        jesus.sanchez-palencia@...el.com, boon.leong.ong@...el.com,
        richardcochran@...il.com
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 0/5] TSN: Add qdisc-based config interfaces for
 traffic shapers

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 06:26:20PM -0700, Vinicius Costa Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patchset is an RFC on a proposal of how the Traffic Control subsystem can
> be used to offload the configuration of traffic shapers into network devices
> that provide support for them in HW. Our goal here is to start upstreaming
> support for features related to the Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) set of
> standards into the kernel.

Nice to see that others are working on this as well! :)

A short disclaimer; I'm pretty much anchored in the view "linux is the
end-station in a TSN domain", is this your approach as well, or are you
looking at this driver to be used in bridges as well? (because that will
affect the comments on time-aware shaper and frame preemption)

Yet another disclaimer; I am not a linux networking subsystem expert. Not
by a long shot! There are black magic happening in the internals of the
networking subsystem that I am not even aware of. So if something I say or
ask does not make sense _at_all_, that's probably why..

I do know a tiny bit about TSN though, and I have been messing around
with it for a little while, hence my comments below

> As part of this work, we've assessed previous public discussions related to TSN
> enabling: patches from Henrik Austad (Cisco), the presentation from Eric Mann
> at Linux Plumbers 2012, patches from Gangfeng Huang (National Instruments) and
> the current state of the OpenAVNU project (https://github.com/AVnu/OpenAvnu/).

/me eyes Cc ;p

> Overview
> ========
>
> Time-sensitive Networking (TSN) is a set of standards that aim to address
> resources availability for providing bandwidth reservation and bounded latency
> on Ethernet based LANs. The proposal described here aims to cover mainly what is
> needed to enable the following standards: 802.1Qat, 802.1Qav, 802.1Qbv and
> 802.1Qbu.
>
> The initial target of this work is the Intel i210 NIC, but other controllers'
> datasheet were also taken into account, like the Renesas RZ/A1H RZ/A1M group and
> the Synopsis DesignWare Ethernet QoS controller.

NXP has a TSN aware chip on the i.MX7 sabre board as well </fyi>

> Proposal
> ========
>
> Feature-wise, what is covered here are configuration interfaces for HW
> implementations of the Credit-Based shaper (CBS, 802.1Qav), Time-Aware shaper
> (802.1Qbv) and Frame Preemption (802.1Qbu). CBS is a per-queue shaper, while
> Qbv and Qbu must be configured per port, with the configuration covering all
> queues. Given that these features are related to traffic shaping, and that the
> traffic control subsystem already provides a queueing discipline that offloads
> config into the device driver (i.e. mqprio), designing new qdiscs for the
> specific purpose of offloading the config for each shaper seemed like a good
> fit.

just to be clear, you register sch_cbs as a subclass to mqprio, not as a
root class?

> For steering traffic into the correct queues, we use the socket option
> SO_PRIORITY and then a mechanism to map priority to traffic classes / Tx queues.
> The qdisc mqprio is currently used in our tests.

Right, fair enough, I'd prefer the TSN qdisc to be the root-device and
rather have mqprio for high priority traffic and another for 'everything
else'', but this would work too. This is not that relevant at this stage I
guess :)

> As for the shapers config interface:
>
>  * CBS (802.1Qav)
>
>    This patchset is proposing a new qdisc called 'cbs'. Its 'tc' cmd line is:
>    $ tc qdisc add dev IFACE parent ID cbs locredit N hicredit M sendslope S \
>      idleslope I

So this confuses me a bit, why specify sendSlope?

    sendSlope = portTransmitRate - idleSlope

and portTransmitRate is the speed of the MAC (which you get from the
driver). Adding sendSlope here is just redundant I think.

Also, does this mean that when you create the qdisc, you have locked the
bandwidth for the scheduler? Meaning, if I later want to add another
stream that requires more bandwidth, I have to close all active streams,
reconfigure the qdisc and then restart?

>    Note that the parameters for this qdisc are the ones defined by the
>    802.1Q-2014 spec, so no hardware specific functionality is exposed here.

You do need to know if the link is brought up as 100 or 1000 though - which
the driver already knows.

>  * Time-aware shaper (802.1Qbv):
>
>    The idea we are currently exploring is to add a "time-aware", priority based
>    qdisc, that also exposes the Tx queues available and provides a mechanism for
>    mapping priority <-> traffic class <-> Tx queues in a similar fashion as
>    mqprio. We are calling this qdisc 'taprio', and its 'tc' cmd line would be:

As far as I know, this is not supported by i210, and if time-aware shaping
is enabled in the network - you'll be queued on a bridge until the window
opens as time-aware shaping is enforced on the tx-port and not on rx. Is
this required in this driver?

>    $ $ tc qdisc add dev ens4 parent root handle 100 taprio num_tc 4    \
>      	   map 2 2 1 0 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3                         \
> 	   queues 0 1 2 3                                              \
>      	   sched-file gates.sched [base-time <interval>]               \
>            [cycle-time <interval>] [extension-time <interval>]

That was a lot of priorities! 802.1Q lists 8 priorities, where does these
16 come from?

You map pri 0,1 to queue 2, pri 2 to queue 1 (Class B), pri 3 to queue 0
(class A) and everythign else to queue 3. This is what I would expect,
except for the additional 8 priorities.

>    <file> is multi-line, with each line being of the following format:
>
>    Qbv only defines one <cmd>: "S" for 'SetGates'
>
>    For example:
>
>    S 0x01 300
>    S 0x03 500
>
>    This means that there are two intervals, the first will have the gate
>    for traffic class 0 open for 300 nanoseconds, the second will have
>    both traffic classes open for 500 nanoseconds.

Are you aware of any hw except dedicated switching stuff that supports
this? (meant as "I'm curious and would like to know")

>    Additionally, an option to set just one entry of the gate control list will
>    also be provided by 'taprio':
>
>    $ tc qdisc (...) \
>         [base-time <interval>] [cycle-time <interval>] \
>         [extension-time <interval>]
>

>  * Frame Preemption (802.1Qbu):

So Frame preemption is nice, but my understanding of Qbu is that the real
benefit is at the bridges and not in the endpoints. As jumbo-frames is
explicitly disallowed in Qav, the maximum latency incurred by a frame in
flight is 12us on a 1Gbps link. I am not sure if these 12us is what will be
the main delay in your application.

Or have I missed some crucial point here?

>    To control even further the latency, it may prove useful to signal which
>    traffic classes are marked as preemptable. For that, 'taprio' provides the
>    preemption command so you set each traffic class as preemptable or not:
>
>    $ tc qdisc (...) \
>         preemption 0 1 1 1
>
>  * Time-aware shaper + Preemption:
>
>    As an example of how Qbv and Qbu can be used together, we may specify
>    both the schedule and the preempt-mask, and this way we may also
>    specify the Set-Gates-and-Hold and Set-Gates-and-Release commands as
>    specified in the Qbu spec:
>
>    $ tc qdisc add dev ens4 parent root handle 100 taprio num_tc 4 \
>      	   map 2 2 1 0 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3                    \
> 	   queues 0 1 2 3                                         \
>      	   preemption 0 1 1 1                                     \
> 	   sched-file preempt_gates.sched
>
>     <file> is multi-line, with each line being of the following format:
>
>     For this case, two new commands are introduced:
>
>     "H" for 'set gates and hold'
>     "R" for 'set gates and release'
>
>     H 0x01 300
>     R 0x03 500

So my understanding of all of this is that you configure the *total*
bandwith for each class when you load the qdisc and then let userspace
handle the rest. Is this correct?

In my view, it would be nice if the qdisc had some notion about streams so
that you could create a stream, feed frames to it and let the driver pace
them out. (The fewer you queue, the shorter the delay). This will also
allow you to enforce per-stream bandwidth restrictions. I don't see how you
can do this here unless you want to do this in userspace.

Do you have any plans for adding support for multiplexing streams? If you
have multiple streams, how do you enforce that one stream does not eat into
the bandwidth of another stream? AFAIK, this is something the network must
enforce, but I see no option of doing som here.

> Testing this RFC
> ================
>
> For testing the patches of this RFC only, you can refer to the samples and
> helper script being added to samples/tsn/ and the use the 'mqprio' qdisc to
> setup the priorities to Tx queues mapping, together with the 'cbs' qdisc to
> configure the HW shaper of the i210 controller:

I will test it, feedback will be provided soon! :)

Thanks!
-Henrik

> 1) Setup priorities to traffic classes to hardware queues mapping
> $ tc qdisc replace dev enp3s0 parent root mqprio num_tc 3 \
>      map 2 2 1 0 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 queues 1@0 1@1 2@2 hw 0
>
> 2) Check scheme. You want to get the inner qdiscs ID from the bottom up
> $ tc -g  class show dev enp3s0
>
> Ex.:
> +---(802a:3) mqprio
> |    +---(802a:6) mqprio
> |    +---(802a:7) mqprio
> |
> +---(802a:2) mqprio
> |    +---(802a:5) mqprio
> |
> +---(802a:1) mqprio
>      +---(802a:4) mqprio
>
>  * Here '802a:4' is Tx Queue #0 and '802a:5' is Tx Queue #1.
>
> 3) Calculate CBS parameters for classes A and B. i.e. BW for A is 20Mbps and
>    for B is 10Mbps:
> $ ./samples/tsn/calculate_cbs_params.py -A 20000 -a 1500 -B 10000 -b 1500
>
> 4) Configure CBS for traffic class A (priority 3) as provided by the script:
> $ tc qdisc replace dev enp3s0 parent 802a:4 cbs locredit -1470 \
>      hicredit 30 sendslope -980000 idleslope 20000
>
> 5) Configure CBS for traffic class B (priority 2):
> $ tc qdisc replace dev enp3s0 parent 802a:5 cbs \
>      locredit -1485 hicredit 31 sendslope -990000 idleslope 10000
>
> 6) Run Listener, compiled from samples/tsn/listener.c
> $ ./listener -i enp3s0
>
> 7) Run Talker for class A (prio 3 here), compiled from samples/tsn/talker.c
> $ ./talker -i enp3s0 -p 3
>
>  * The bandwidth displayed on the listener output at this stage should be very
>    close to the one configured for class A.
>
> 8) You can also run a Talker for class B (prio 2 here)
> $ ./talker -i enp3s0 -p 2
>
>  * The bandwidth displayed on the listener output now should increase to very
>    close to the one configured for class A + class B.

Because you grab both class A *and* B, or because B will eat what A does
not use?

-H

--
Henrik Austad

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)